Saving Graces

I took a deep breath and looked up from the notice I was about to read. I had no choice, I reminded myself as I gazed at all the hopeful people of Nottingham. My eyes swung around to Guy, standing behind the Sheriff. He smiled at me encouragingly and I looked back at the words on the parchment. I started speaking, dooming a section of the city to death.

The Sheriff was making me read the notice that the pestilence was in Nottingham. It was complete and utter rubbish, but my father's safety was doubtful if I didn't do the Sheriff's bidding. Robin's men couldn't stand up to the Sheriff's entire guard. I just had to trust in Robin and his men to come up with a cure for the poison that the people had started eating in the pies last night.

I was also extremely angry that the Sheriff was using the Nightwatchman as a delivery system for his scheme. That was MY alter ego, NOT his. I had said as much to Guy last night when he got back from his meeting with the Sheriff. He told me that Joseph would ride through the streets giving the hungry people meat pies. Thinking he was the Nightwatchman, they would doubtless begin eating them immediately.

I started pacing the room, upset and angry. Guy tried to get me to sit on the bed with him, but I was too restless to sit still. Who did he think he was, I yelled, using my Nightwatchman that way? Guy shushed me, his face a mixture of anger and terror. I took a breath and sat next to him, realizing belatedly that the Sheriff could have heard me through the walls.

Guy put his arm around my shoudlers and softly reminded me that Robin and his men were trying to find the cure. With a head start like this they could possibly save everyone and the Sheriff wouldn't know that we were giving Robin secrets. I nodded and laid my head on his shoulder, letting him rock me gently for a while. Eventually I had let him lay me down on the bed, and he had held me until I fell asleep.

Now I spoke aloud the words I detested, knowing they weren't true, but that I had no choice. The events set in motion would allow Robin and his men to save the people, if they came up with a cure in time. I saw some of the gang sneak into the quarantine zone as the guards herded the residents in and barricaded the affected streets. And I prayed that they would be successful.

The Sheriff smiled malignantly at me, and I shuddered. He strode off, Guy giving me an apologetic look and following him. I sighed and followed too - I wanted to know what they were doing. The Sheriff told Guy to get rid of me and he turned to hold me in his arms as the Sheriff walked on toward his chambers. I held tight to Guy, and he kissed my forehead, murmuring soothing words.

After a few minutes he broke away and walked with me to our chamber, where he left me with a kiss. I watched him go, but was too restless to stay in our room. Back down to the courtyard I went, to the barricade to see if I could provide any assistance. I passed Joseph on the way, and realized he must be going to meet with the Sheriff and Guy.

I made it to the barricade, but only saw desparate citizens begging to be let out. Trying to calm them , I explained that we were working on a cure as fast as we could and asked if anyone needed anything. They were getting close to panicking, so I told them to go to their homes and stay there until we could get them out.

A hand suddenly grabbed my upper arm, twirling me around to face a furious Guy. I tried to pull away, but his grip was like an iron shackle. He bent down close to me and growled so low I had to strain to hear it.

"What are you doing here?" I gasped at the anger in his expression and gave up my efforts to free myself, standing still instead. His hand was still tight around my arm, but it didn't hurt as much when I wasn't moving.

"I'm trying to offer assistance to these people until we can find the cure," I responded, my voice vibrating with anger and fear. He shook his head, his expression changing to one of exasperation.