The Sheriff's Visit

It had been a week since Robin shot Guy, and I could tell that Guy was ready to be done recuperating. He was starting to get moody, and extremely amorous. I didn't want to do anything that might reinjure him until the doctor said his wound was healed, but Guy was having trouble waiting that long. It was especially difficult after my revelation (to both of us) that I loved him -- I wanted to show him.  It was also difficult to be the one who held back when he wasn't interested in trying to.  It was, if possible, even harder in the middle of the night, when we were both half asleep.  I may or may not have given in a time or two.  I was currently trying to get him to eat some stew, but he wasn't cooperating. Like a child, I thought, and rolled my eyes.

"The doctor will be here today, and if he says you are healed, or close to it, he won't get out the front door before I will be in bed with you," I told him, and his eyes glowed with the promise. His hand attempted to push up my dress, and I swatted it away. "Just concentrate on eating until he does get here." He pouted, and I giggled, then leaned down to give him a kiss. "I know it's been a long time, but just be patient a little while longer."

I hesitated, and then told him about my tour of Locksley. His eyes widened with surprise, but then he gave me his crooked smile and said of course I did, as I knew how to oversee land. I did; I had often gone with my father to oversee Knighton lands. I smiled back and told him that we should go together next time, and he nodded his agreement, looking pleased and proud to have me for a wife. Now was a good time to ask about the burned down building, I thought. I took a deep breath.

"There is a burned down building on Locksley lands, but I have never been able to get anyone to tell me what happened. Do you know?" His expression grew grim and he looked away, toying with the blanket.  All traces of humor were gone, and I was sorry I had brought it up.

"Yes, but it is not something I wish to discuss now. I will tell you, but not now." I gave him a concerned look. What had happened in that building? Had I seen guilt on his face? I sighed softly. If he didn't want to tell me, I knew from experience that I might as well stop trying now. He said he would tell me; I just had to be patient and wait until he felt comfortable enough to do so.  I nodded and changed the subject.

"Your tenants seem...cautiously optmistic about you, Guy." Again he looked at me with surprise, and he looked a little pleased again too. "I think that if we visit them regularly, together, they will start to see your good intentions."

"Yes, Marian, I want to do that with you, among other things..." His eyes raked up and down my body, and I put my hands on my hips in mock frustration.

"Can we not have a serious conversation?" I asked imperiously.

"Not while you are so close, and looking so deliciously beddable, my dear," he growled, and I inhaled sharply, feeling the familiar desire start deep inside.

"Perhaps I should move farther away, then. Do you think we could carry on this conversation through the door?" He gave me a dark look, and then looked contrite.

"I shall endeavor to reign in my ardor," he conceded, and held out his hand.

"Good," I responded, and reached out to shake it. Instead, he chuckled and pulled me down on top of him, his other hand encircling my waist, and his lips capturing mine. I stiffened with surprise, but then melted into him, enjoying the kiss. After a few moments he released me, and I scrambled back up and into the chair. "That was a dirty trick, Sir!" He chuckled.

"I did say 'endeavor,' Lady. I just didn't say how hard I would endeavor. You must admit, though, it was not disagreeable." He smirked, and I folded my arms, but I couldn't keep the smile off my face.

"It was extremely agreeable, Sir. But it was still a dirty trick! Now, behave or I shall have to go find some chores to do!" He capitulated, and promised to be good until the doctor came by, but couldn't promise what would happen after the doctor left. I responded that I was looking forward to finding out, and then we continued discussing the Locksley tours we would start making weekly.