The Next Morning

I yawned and stretched, slowly waking to the sun streaming in the open window. A slight breeze blew over me, but I wasn't cold. Perhaps it was the man curled up to my backside, his arm draped over my waist possessively. I lay still for a few minutes, savoring the feel of his skin pressed against mine and his breath warm on the back of my neck, almost tickling me. As I woke further, I started reliving last night's activities, and a blush spread across my face. At some point during the night he had woken me and taken me again, divesting me of my nightgown in the process. My heart beat faster at the memory. Had it really been that easy for him to supplant Robin in my heart?

I had awoken to him whispering in my ear, but in an unfamiliar language, his hand lightly teasing my nipples to attention. Between phrases he would nibble my neck. I could feel the heat building, and I moaned softly. Although I didn't know what he was saying, between the intimate tone he was using and the almost ticklish pleasure of his breath on my neck, I had the distinct impression they were endearments, and I could feel myself responding. I had known that part of marriage was a wife's duty to her husband's desires in the bedroom, but this didn't feel like a duty. It felt like pure pleasure. Sighing softly, I turned so I was facing him, and his lips found my neck again, making their way up to my mouth. Once there he took possession, and I gladly surrendered.

He definitely knew how to make love to a woman, even when he was half asleep. I wondered where he had learned that, and how many women he had practised it with. How many had he said those words to?  Was that jealousy I felt? Certainly not! I also wondered whether Robin would have been that experienced -- as gentle, tender, and patient as Guy had been. Somehow I doubted it. Would my love for him have made up for his inexperience? Looked the other way if he was selfish, rough and impatient? It didn't matter now, and I wasn't sure if I was disappointed or not.

I thought about Guy again. He had been surprisingly gentle; I had been expecting him to take me like he took everything else that was his. Instead he had made me feel safe, and made me feel things I never knew I could feel before last night. Every kiss had left me breathless; every touch had me wanting more. And afterward, when he thought I was asleep, he said those words. Robin had never said those words to me. Sure, it was implied, but never stated. Granted, Guy thought I couldn't hear him, and perhaps Robin had said them when I couldn't hear him, but I couldn't help but wonder what that meant about each man.

Now Guy mumbled something in his sleep, his hand simultaneously brushing my stomach, and I carefully rolled over so as not to wake him. Propping myself up on an elbow, I studied his face -- how gentle, and even childlike, it looked in sleep. His hair was tousled, and a lock fell over his eye. I moved to push it back with the rest of his hair, and his hand came up to grab my wrist, his eyes opening suddenly. I winced at the pain, but once he realized it was me he released me as if I had burned him.

"I'm so sorry, Marian. I'm not used to being awoken so...pleasantly." At first he looked contrite, but then he grinned that crooked grin that usually meant trouble. I saw no trouble in his eyes this time, but something else that looked like happiness. I rubbed my wrist absently.

"That's ok, Guy. I didn't know that moving your hair out of your face would be a problem. It won't happen again." He frowned at my assertion.

"I want it to happen again, Marian. I will get used to waking with you, and perhaps my other memories will fade under your tender ministrations." I blushed again, and he chuckled. "I see you understand what I mean." I nodded and moved to turn away, but he draped his arm over my waist again, stilling me. "We don't have to get up just yet," he continued, and nuzzled my neck. I thought about pushing him away, but his nuzzles were causing such delightful sensations that I couldn't find the strength.

"Guy," I managed between gasps, and he stopped, looking at me uncertainly. "I enjoyed last night (both times), and I can already tell I will enjoy this morning, but I am having a hard time understanding this side of you. I am not used to it. Why are you so hard on people? Why do you let the Sheriff push you around so?" He scowled slightly, then sighed.