Nightmares

I learned quickly that Guy was plagued by demons, judging from the number of nightmares he had. I had my first experience with them a few nights after we were wed. I awoke to him thrashing and yelling next to me, asking someone not to do it, whatever it was. He sounded panicked and terrified, his voice hoarse with emotion.  I wrapped my arms around him, whispering into his ear that it was alright; I was here. After a few minutes, he seemed to hear me, and calmed down.

I pulled his head to my chest and stroked the top, running my hands through his hair, listening to his breathing slow. He muttered a few more pleas to his tormentor. His arms went around me, holding me tight, as if he were drowning and needed me to keep him above water. I continued whispering into his ear, softly assuring him everything was ok. He slowly relaxed, his breathing evening out, and he whispered my name. I stroked his hair, wishing I could take away whatever it was, and lay awake for a while, watching him.  I wondered how he had dealt with nightmares before I came along, and how long it took him to calm down afterward.

Just as I was about to drift off to sleep, he became aware of my breast conveniently under his cheek, the nipple within reach of his mouth. As had become the norm, the nightgown I had worn to bed had ended up on the floor, and he never wore anything to bed, so there were no clothes to get in his way. Still mostly asleep, he began teasing the nipple into a hard peak with his mouth, his hand finding the other to bring it to a similar state. I let out a low moan, instantly feeling the effects in my core. His hand stroked down my side with feather-light touches, setting my skin on fire.

Down it went until he found me swollen and wet, ready for his attentions. I sighed softly as he began manipulating my sensitive flesh, but I quickly switched to moans as his fingers worked their magic. After a few moments, he moved so he was over me and quickly thrust inside me. I wrapped my arms around his neck and drew him down for a passionate kiss. He took me a little roughly (it almost seemed like desperation), and I loved it. My moans grew louder until I reached my peak, and he reached his shortly after.

He collapsed on top of me, caressing me softly and whispering how much he loved me, repeating those endearments I now knew by heart, even though I didn't know the language. I repeated each one in English in my head, as he bared his soul to me, and then he rolled onto his back, pulling me into his arms. At that point I realized he hadn't fully wakened, because he hadn't said he loved me since our wedding night; at least not while I was awake, and he only said those phrases when he was half asleep. Except when he had explained them to me. I figured it was because I hadn't said it to him, and he didn't want to keep saying it to no response. I pressed soft kisses along his neck, wishing I could tell him what he wanted to hear, but I wasn't ready. He started pleading softly for me not to leave him, to never leave him. My heart broke at the vulnerability in his voice, and I promised him that I would never leave him.

It wasn't unusual for him to waken me in the middle of the night to make love, nor was it unusual that he was mostly asleep.  It had happened every night since we had been wed.  I found that I enjoyed, and had even instigated a few of, these sessions, truth be told, by snuggling up to him.  What was unusual was his vulnerability afterward, and I realized that the nightmare had taken a lot out of him.  He still held me tight, as if I were going to get out of bed and leave forever.  I kind of liked being needed, though.  I doubted Robin would have needed me.  He had always known his worth; even thought a little too highly of himself.  He didn't need anyone to show it to him.  I was coming to realize that Guy did need that, and I was the first person to offer it to him.

I felt so safe when Guy held me in his arms, but here he was, reliving some horrible part of his past, sounding like a terrified little boy. It had been so easy for me to see his public persona and judge him based on that, but now I saw who he really was, underneath, and it rocked all my previous assumptions about him. Now I wondered if I had ever really known him at all. Even when he was proposing to me he had kept a wall between us. That wall was disappearing as I held him and comforted him. My heart changed, just a little, but enough so I could feel it. I was starting to feel something for him, although I wasn't ready to call it love just yet. Merely a softening of my previous feelings, or a better understanding of him. I continued caressing him until I fell asleep some time later. He slept soundly the rest of the night.