The Castle

We stopped by to see my father on the way, and let him know where we were going. He asked if I wanted him to come too, but I told him I'd be fine, and would come back to visit soon. As we hugged goodbye, he whispered that he knew Guy would take care of me and I nodded.  He looked relieved that I was in good hands. We took our leave and continued on our way, the Sheriff in front, me in the middle, and Guy behind. It was an uneventful trip, although I wouldn't have been surprised to know that Robin was following us.

I maneuvered my horse next to Guy's as often as I could so I could watch closely for any signs of pain or fatigue. If our bedroom activities were any sign, he was almost completely recovered, but travel can be hard on an injured person. I tried to be surreptitious about it, though, in case the Sheriff looked our way. I needn't have worried, because he was too busy talking about himself to notice anything we were doing. I probably could have leapt onto Guys horse and let him take me right there and the Sheriff would have continued talking about his own brilliance.

Guy noticed, though, and used my attentiveness to give me suggestive looks.  Yes, he was almost completely healed.  I rolled my eyes at him, as much for his expression as for the Sheriff's unending monologue.  He grinned at me, and I grinned back.  If he knew I had just been thinking about leaping to his horse he probably would have held out his arms.  I blushed at the thought, and he brought his horse closer so he could whisper that as soon as we were in our room at the castle he wanted to know what thought had caused that delicious color to tinge my cheeks.  Grinning, I replied that I would by all means tell him.

When we got to the castle, the Sheriff went to his quarters to rest, and probably count some money or kill a bird.  Guy took me to his chambers, which were now ours. Once inside, we both let out a sigh of relief, and then looked at each other and chuckled. I walked up to him and put my arms around his neck, feeling his go around my waist.  I looked up at him with amazement.

"How do you listen to that nonstop drabble?" I asked with a sigh.  "I haven't been around him that long at a time before, and I'm surprised that he hasn't lost his voice!"  He chuckled.

"Perhaps you are now rethinking the wisdom of marrying me, since you will see so much more of him."  I shook my head, and he smiled.  "I have become adept at tuning out what I don't need to hear and knowing when to respond.  Unfortunately, I don't think he will ever lose his voice, but we can always hope he will."  We smiled at each other, and then I reached up to trace his jaw with my finger.  He gave me his crooked smile, and I braced myself for the question.

"Now tell me what you were thinking on the way here," he requested softly, his finger tracing down my neck and along the top of my dress.  I blushed again and then explained how far I might be able to go without attracting the attention of the self-absorbed Sheriff.  He chuckled and agreed that it probably wouldn't, but suggested we test the theory some time, his eyes twinkling.

I pretended to give it some thought, and he looked at me expectantly.  I replied that the Sheriff need not be present for us to try it out, and he suggested we could try it right now.  Giggling, I told him that I would prefer we try it some time when we were home, not in the Castle, and he agreed, his eyes gazing heatedly at me.  I felt desire bloom inside, langorously warming me, at the thought.

"Have you ever tried that before?" I asked, wanting to know and not wanting to know at the same time.  He shook his head.

"It must take a lot of balance and a horse not easily spooked," he said softly, his eyes on my mouth.  "My horse might be a bit too excitable, but yours is fairly docile."  He said this as if he was talking about the weather, and I swallowed audibly.  When I looked up at him, though, there was no mistaking the heat in his eyes.  Now I couldn't wait to try it.  My thoughts reluctantly returned to the Sheriff and our deception.