Guy's First Time Away

Just when we were starting to settle into a routine of sorts, the Sheriff sent for Guy on some matter of business. We had been married about a week, and I must admit that most of that time had been spent in bed -- talking as much as other activities -- and I was becoming more comfortable with him. I didn't want him to go when we were just getting to a good place, and told him so.

"Marian, you know I have to go. I work for the Sheriff, and he wants me there right now. I'll be back as soon as I can. Besides --" he came up to me and caressed my jaw, "-- I cannot stay away from such a wife for long." I smiled at him, and he bent down for a kiss -- one that left me quite weak in the knees, and holding onto him for support, and left him smiling -- before walking out the door.

Sighing, I sat at the table. What would I do for however long he was gone? That was the part I liked least -- who knew how long the Sheriff would keep him there? Then I wondered why I, who had always been so independent, was pining away for Guy. Couldn't I survive a few days without him? Yes, but I found that I didn't want to. I thought about taking my horse for a ride, but decided to do that a bit later. First, I wanted to eat something. Just as I was getting up, two hands covered my eyes and a voice whispered in my ear.

"Guess who?" Grabbing the hands, I twirled around to find Robin standing behind me, a grim smile on his face.

"What are you doing here?" I asked in an irritated voice, my hands on my hips. "You shouldn't be here, Robin. Guy would kill you if he saw you!"

"I have come to see if you are ready to be taken away from this prison yet. You can live with us in the forest." He held out his hand.

"Robin, you know I can't do that. I'm not going to leave now that my father is protected. Guy knows I'm the Night Watchman after discovering where he stabbed me, and if I leave he could use that against me. It's done, and you have to understand that." I didn't actually think Guy would use that information against me, but if telling Robin that would make it easier for him to leave, I was willing to say it. Robin stared at me, realization and disgust on his face.

"Did you let him touch you, Marian?" His accusing eyes took in my flushed face and he groaned at the answer he saw there. "I don't know why I asked...neither one of you has left the house since you got here. What else would you be doing?" I rolled my eyes. Of course he had been spying on us. How else did he know when to come in?  He must have gone away the day we went to the glade in the forest, and I was glad he hadn't witnessed that interlude.

"Robin, he is my husband. Of course I let him touch me. It was...nice." I blushed as I thought about what an understatement that was. To say it was nice was like saying a monsoon was a light mist. Guy played my body like a finely tuned instrument every time we made love.  It was more than that, though -- he cared how I felt and whether I came to completion, and he always helped me to that end no matter what. Every time had been much more than nice. It had been amazing. Robin snorted his disbelief. He tried one more tactic.

"Did he tell you that the King isn't in England after all? That you didn't have to marry him?" He looked smug as he said it. I sighed, realizing again just how childish he was.

"Yes, Robin, he told me. He explained what happened, and I believe him. He also kept my father away, to protect him and so he could be at the wedding." He shook his head at my complaisance. I took a deep breath and continued. "And he told me he loves me. It's not so bad. You need to leave me alone. We can never be together now."

"He doesn't love you...all he loves is money and power! I love you, Marian! I can protect you...just come with me. I don't care that you're married to him." He held out his hand, but I ignored it.

"Robin, I can't. Please understand that." I folded my arms over my chest.

"Marian, you can't be happy with him. You can be happy with me. Come with me now." I shook my head.