Mediating

We had been at the castle for almost two weeks when it happened.  The Sheriff had some stupid plan to get Robin (that seemed to be pretty much what he did...sat around plotting Robin's capture and/or demise), I refused to take part, and Guy insisted that I did.  Of course Guy was just playing his part, but it got rather heated all the same.  Having the Sheriff as an audience added to the drama, and I started to feel like we were overacting a little.  I could tell Guy was still upset at what Robin had done, and I couldn't blame him, but I knew eventually Guy would have to make his peace with it.

Although we weren't yelling at each other, it was getting intense, and before I knew it he had me pinned against the table, his hands on either side of me.  I wasn't backing down, and we were both getting frustrated.  This is what almost every interaction had been like before we were wed.  The only difference was that what I had taken for apathy I now knew was a defense mechanism.  To keep the Sheriff from getting too involved, Guy would pretend that he didn't care about the issue -- just about the side the Sheriff had taken.  Now he was telling me to go, but I knew that was not what he wanted, which made me fight harder to stay.

The real issue was that I was supposed to go back to Locksley, but I wanted to stay with Guy, so I just said I didn't want to be involved at all.  He looked confused, since this would help along the plan that I had come up with, and I was glad he wasn't facing the Sheriff at that moment.  I tried to explain with a look, but it's hard to put all that into an expression.  Especially when you're on stage.  Guy leaned in close to me, looking me up and down, and took me by surprise with what he said next.

"If you knew the things I want to do to you right now," he whispered in my ear, sending shivers of anticipation up and down my spine.  I jerked backward and gave him a startled look.  The man was attempting to seduce me in the middle of an argument!  I must admit, however, that he was succeeding.  I put a thoughtful expression on, leaned back in toward him, and whispered back.

"If only we were in our room right now..."  I trailed off, and he groaned.  The next thing I knew I was over his shoulder and he was excusing us to the Sheriff, who roared with laughter as Guy stalked out of the room.  I made a display of struggling and yelling at him to put me down so I didn't seem too eager to go, but I was breathless with anticipation.  Plus, it got us away from the Sheriff and the argument.  At least the false part of the argument.  Now perhaps we could have a real conversation about it.  Well, after I found out what he wanted to do to me, of course.

Once we were in our room, he set me down and closed and locked the door.  We were both breathing fast, the argument and the ensuing walk having invigorated us.  After staring at each other briefly, we rushed together, done with fighting for the moment, preferring to engage in a more pleasurable activity.  When we were done, I had a much better idea of what he had in mind, and a smile on my face.  He had one too, which I was glad to see.  I looked at him and attempted once again, more truthfully this time, to explain my side.

"Guy, I don't want to leave you; that's the real reason I don't want to go to Locksley.  I want to be with you."  I traced his jaw with my finger, and he sighed softly.

"And I with you, Marian.  But this way you can try to get us both on Robin's side, and start setting up some sort of alliance.  This whole alliance thing was your idea, if you remember."  I sighed; of course he was right.  I looked up at him and smiled again.

"On the one hand, I wish we had had our conversation that way in the first place.  On the other hand, I enjoyed the results of the other conversation much more."  He gave me his crooked grin and brought his lips to mine.  My arms wound around his neck, and we kissed tenderly for a few minutes.  "I shall miss you terribly, Husband."