Love And Jealousy

Guy set me down gently, and rested his forehead on mine, both of us breathing heavily. The cool water felt good on my heated skin. My hands moved from the nape of his neck, caressing down to his shoulders, then resting my hands on his chest. After a few moments I looked up shyly and met his eyes. Had I not noticed before how very blue they were? I shook myself mentally and smiled.  He returned the smile and reached up to tuck an errant lock of hair behind my ear.

"Welcome home, Husband," I whispered. "I missed you."

"Ah, Marian, you have no idea how long I have wanted to hear those words from you." He gave me a tender kiss.

I wanted to tell him how much I had missed him, although I had just shown him, but a throat cleared behind Guy, and we both looked for the source, who turned out to be my father. I called out a welcome, my cheeks on fire, and looked up at Guy again. We both chuckled softly at being caught in such a moment.  His hand caressed my back through the wet chemise.

"I'll take him to the house so you can get dressed," I said softly, and he nodded his head in understanding. Wading out of the water, I put my dress back on and hurried over to my father. He gave me a knowing look, and I blushed again.

"You two seem to be getting along well," he observed, and I smiled.

"We are, Father.  He just got back from Nottingham, and I was welcoming him home."  I glanced over at him and saw him smiling.  Although I was embarrassed that my father had seen at least the end of my welcome, I knew he was relieved that my marriage was more than just something that had saved his life.  "Um, Father, how long were you standing there before you said something?"  He chuckled.

"I had only just gotten there...long enough to see the two of you having a nice moment.  I didn't want to interrupt it, but I also didn't want you to think I was spying." He held out his arm and I placed my hand on it, so he could walk me into the house. As we walked I could hear Guy wading out to get his clothes.

"Speaking of spying, Robin has been, and I don't like it."  He frowned, echoing my own expression.  "In fact, he's probably doing so right now." We were almost to the house now, and as I paused, I heard a grunt and a thud. Turning around, I was horrified to see Guy laying on the ground, an arrow protruding from his chest.

"Guy!" I shrieked, and started running back toward the pond. When I got to him, he was unconscious. Looking at the arrow, my eyes narrowed -- it was one of Robin's. He was doing more than spying, and I was now furious as well as scared -- not a good combination. The stable boy had come running when he heard my cry, and he helped me carry Guy into the house and up to our bed. I sent my father to get the doctor.

Guy had not regained consciousness by the time the doctor got there, so he had no compunction pulling the arrow out. The pain had Guy grimacing for a moment, but he didn't awaken, just grunted and then mumbled something.  The doctor examined the wound, applied a poultice, and said we'd have to wait and see. I let out a sob, and my father put his arm around my shoulders. He said he would stay with me for the night, and I gave him a hug of thanks. He left me with Guy; as soon as he closed the door behind him, I grabbed Guy's hand.

"Don't leave me, please, Guy. We were just getting to know each other. I was just starting to..." I couldn't think of the words; didn't even know what I wanted to say. So I sat there, caressing his hand with mine, waiting for him to wake up, hoping he would.  Instead he lay as if asleep, the furrows that usually resided on his brow smoothed out.  He looked too peaceful, and it scared me.  We had just enjoyed such an intimate moment in the pond, and now he was so still that I didn't know how to react.

Eventually I started talking again, telling him stories of my childhood.  It was hard to avoid Robin, but I managed to most of the time.  My mother had died when I was young, so I didn't remember much about her.  I talked about my father a lot, and how he supported me as I turned into an independent woman who stood up for herself.  I also told him about his and my history together, from my point of view, and how I had always thought we would be enemies.  I had disliked him and everything he stood for, just like I still disliked the Sheriff.