Fortune Hunters

Robin's desire to get into the Strong Room wasn't a coincidence, as it turned out. Count Frederick, from Bavaria, was coming to pay a visit. The Sheriff knew that the Count loved gambling, and had decided to put a rigged casino in place. The Count's losses would add to the funds needed to carry out the plans against King Richard -- in fact, they would probably get the Sheriff to his goal and give him a little extra spending money. If Robin could pull off the Strong Room heist, all that money would go to people who really needed it, and the Sheriff wouldn't be able to further his plans just yet.

I was still a little uneasy, but I did trust Guy to do what he could to help Robin succeed.  The trick was to keep the Sheriff from finding out that he was helping.  It didn't seem too difficult to pull off, however, because the Sheriff was too busy talking about how great he was to notice what anyone else was doing.  I could tell Guy was a little stressed, and did my best to help him stay relaxed.  It was the least I could do with the way he was putting everything on the line for me.  I was happy to do it, and he was definitely happy to oblige me.  Especially when my stress relieving attempts turned into activity of a different sort.

While Robin and his gang were busy learning how to beat the Strong Room's booby traps from Stephen, the Sheriff and Guy were busy getting ready for Count Frederick's arrival. They had to make sure the games were rigged in their favor. A few days before his arrival, the Sheriff filled me in on my duties, which included anything -- here I glanced at Guy, prompting the Sheriff to repeat it -- anything the Count required to make his stay more pleasant and comfortable. The Sheriff's leer was unmistakable, and I shuddered in response.

"I am a married woman, Sheriff," I started, and he shushed me.  I crossed my arms over my chest and gave him a steely look.

"And as such, you understand what needs a man has, and can tend to them," was his amused response. Guy bristled at his words and my jaw dropped.  What audacity!  Guy spoke in a deceptively soft voice, but I could feel the anger behind it.

"You will not whore out my wife. Choose a girl from Nottingham." The Sheriff shook his head with a smile.

"That will not do, Gisborne. He is royalty and, as such, he gets nothing but the best." His eyes raked over my body. "And given your state of mind since wedding -- and bedding -- her, I think it's safe to say she is." At Guy's further protests he held up his hand. "You are both here in my service, to carry out my commands. That's the end of it." With that he dismissed us. Guy stalked out of the room, and I quickly followed him to our room. Once there, he took me in his arms.

"I am sorry for what he said. I shouldn't have married you if it meant the Sheriff would give you to any man he wanted." As he got to the end, his words were coming out in a growl, his anger evident.

"He might have done so even if we didn't marry," I responded, trying to calm him down. "I wouldn't want some poor girl to have to do that, so perhaps it's for the best that I be the one. I will try my best to avoid it, though." He gave me a look full of chagrin. I raised my hand to his face, and added softly, "Should I have to do anything, I will only be thinking of you." He sighed and pressed his forehead to mine.  "Besides," I added wryly, "at least he doesn't want to test me first, and trusts your...judgment."  He scowled at that last part.

"I do not like this at all,"  he stated flatly.  I agreed, but what could we do?  I also had a suspicion that the Sheriff was doing this not just because of the reasons he gave, but also to try to drive a wedge between Guy and me.  I wasn't going to let that happen, though, if I had anything to say about it.  I tried to ease the worried furrow out of his brow with a kiss, but was only partly successful.

He suggested I leave and go back home, but I shook my head.  That would just anger the Sheriff, and he was just as likely to take out his anger on Guy as me.  No, I had to do this.  I had to repay Guy for all the times he had stood between me and the Sheriff.  This time I would do what I could for him.  He held me tightly and sighed with frustration.