The Choices We Make

The Sheriff chuckled menacingly and I grasped Guy's hand a little tighter. His grip tightened around my hand in response. I took a deep breath, wondering if we could have waited a little longer to tell him. But no, my stomach was getting harder and harder to hide beneath the dresses I wore, and we dreaded him finding out some other way.

"I didn't think it would take long, Gisborne," he said knowingly, raising his eyebrows suggestively. My face grew hot, and Guy scowled. I felt the icy fingers of fear crawl up my spine. It became more evident than ever that the Sheriff would use our baby against us, just as he used us against each other.

He knew that, much more than we would do anything to protect each other, we would do whatever it took to keep our baby safe. This thought filled me with dread. I glanced nervously at Guy and read the same thought in his eyes.

Fortunately, the Sheriff quickly grew tired of teasing us, and dismissed me shortly after our announcement. Guy had to stay, however, and we said a quick goodbye before I left the room. I went back to our room and hoped he wouldn't be long.

I didn't see him again until lunch, during which he promised he would ride with me to my father's directly after so I could visit him. I smiled thankfully at him, but I could tell that he needed to tell me something. He had a slightly concerned look in his eyes, one that concerned me too.

As soon as we were out of sight of the castle, he explained his concern. The Sheriff had begun to suspect that he had a spy of Robin's in his employ, and Guy was in charge of finding out who it was. I shuddered at the thought of him finding out that Guy was the one he was looking for.

"Don't worry, Marian," he assured me, "I am good at being inept. I will find it quite difficult to unearth the turncoat." I smiled at him, but I couldn't help worrying.

"I just don't want to lose you," I responded softly, and he brought his horse close to mine so he could lay a hand on my arm.

"I will not do anything to endanger myself or you and our baby, Love," he said softly. "I can handle Vaisey." I nodded, fighting the tears that wanted to gather in my eyes and the ache trying to settle in my throat. He groaned softly and stopped our horses, dismounting and drawing me down into his embrace. I clung to him, not quite crying, but shaking in his arms.

His hand came under my chin and he lifted my face, his lips finding mine and kissing me tenderly. After a few minutes I rested my head on his chest, drawing comfort from his strength. He murmured sweet words in my ear, and my shaking slowed down as I listened.

I was sure that he believed what he said, and that he would do it. But I was also sure that he was underestimating the Sheriff. He thought he could protect us, and to an extent he could, but eventually the Sheriff would push him further than he could, or would, go. It would be the end of at least one of us, if not both...soon to be all. All I could do was pray, and trust Guy to do everything in his power.

I looked back up at him and caressed his jaw with my fingers. He held me tighter and smiled down at me. Sighing, I stepped away and let him help me back up on the horse, and we continued on our way.

My father was quite pleased to see us, and insisted we stay the night. Guy told him, completely ignoring my protests, that although he had to get back to the castle, I would be staying. Unfazed even my stormiest look, he explained that he had a spy to ferret out. Hands on my hips, I demanded to know what he would really be doing since he knew darn well who it was. He chuckled and pulled me close, whispering in my ear what he would rather be doing. My reluctance faded as I responded to his words, breathing increasing and body melting into his.

"Not fair, Sir," I pouted when he let me go, and he chuckled again.

"I will return tomorrow, Marian, and then I think it is time we go home for a while." My eyes lit up at the thought, and met his burning gaze breathlessly. I nodded my head in acquiescence, and he embraced me once more before bidding my father good night and striding out the door.