Near Misses

The Sheriff was in high spirits again - the spy had been found and he was about to get all the Black Knights together to sign the pact against King Richard. His belief in his invincible status had been restored. He ran about giddily, preparing for this meeting as if it were a wedding. I tried to stay out of his sights because he invariably giggled and asked me how it felt to see all my hopes for King Richard's return burn to the ground.

Guy was grim, but put on a good show agreeing with that look of his I used to tremble at. Now I knew it was a face he put on for the Sheriff, and the thought comforted me. The only way to keep Robin apprised of the goings on at Nottingham was for me to continue the clandestine meetings with him I used to have. Although not happy with it, Guy grudgingly agreed it would have to do for now.

The day before the first of the Black Knights were to arrive, Guy had an assortment of beautiful silk dresses brought to our room. The Sheriff wanted me to look my best, he explained bemusedly. My eyes flew to his, and he was quick to reassure me that I wasn't to be anyone's entertainment this time, especially not with the baby starting to show. At last I had something to not be nervous about when it came to our child - the Sheriff couldn't try to pawn me off on any man who wanted me.

We argued good-naturedly about which dress I should wear. I gravitated toward blue, loving how it matched his eyes, but he loved me in green. In the end I went with the blue, and a thrill shot through me when he murmured in my ear that my insubordination would have a price later. I murmured back that it had better, and he pulled me close for a quick but thorough kiss before telling me to hurry as he strode out the door. The Sheriff was waiting.

I wore the green dress to dinner that night, and enjoyed the heat of Guy's gaze as it raked over me. I could practically hear his breathing accelerate. The Sheriff was pleased too, and managed to get out between chortles that I would do very nicely indeed. Again I looked at Guy with concern, and again he convinced me I had nothing to worry about.

After a largely sleepless night, for more than one reason, I woke to find Guy's side of the bed empty. The sun streaming in through the window told me that most of the morning had already passed. Guy and I had christened the green dress, and then he had held me as I tried to go to sleep, but my thoughts kept going back to the dresses. Why did the Sheriff want me to wear them? I was afraid that I knew the answer better than Guy did.

I dressed hurriedly and walked quickly to the kitchen, knowing there wouldn't be any more breakfast in the dining hall. Grabbing some bread and wine, I went in search of Guy. As I made my way to the Sheriff's study, figuring that's where they would both be, I passed by one of the many meeting rooms. Hearing voices, I stopped outside the door to listen.

One man was giving another, probably his servant, orders for his bedchamber. My face grew red as I heard him tell the other to find a "wench to entertain" him. I hurried back from the door as I heard a mumbled reply and footsteps in my direction. A large man with red cheeks and beady eyes stopped just short of running into me. My stomach heaved as he eyed me and grinned greasily.

"You'll do nicely, even if you're a bit soft in the middle," he decided, and I gasped in shock and anger.

"I'll do no such thing, sir," I retorted, and started to pass him. He grabbed my arm so hard I dropped the goblet of wine and tears came to my eyes. "I am Lady Gisborne, sir," I managed to say as I tried unsuccessfully to remove my arm from his grasp.

"I'm well aware of that, my Lady," he responded in kind, and I stilled in dismay. So I had been right about the Sheriff all along. He was up to his old tricks. "That's right, Lady Gisborne. You might fare better if you do as I say, although if you want to struggle I'm fine with that too." He leered at me and brought his free hand up to maul my breasts, forcing me back up against the wall.