Rash Decisions

Allan came back a few days later with the distressing news that Robin wanted to break into the Strong Room, which the Sheriff had booby-trapped, after which Guy had had the dubious honor of killing all the people who had contributed to it. He had left one man alive, however, and gave Allan the information Robin needed to find him. My protests went seemingly unheard, much to my frustration, and after Allan left I turned to Guy with a stony expression on my face.

"Why are you encouraging him? This is idiocy, to try to break into that room!" Guy shrugged.

"Who am I to stop him trying?" My irritation rose at his lack of concern, and I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Guy," I warned, "you know why you should stop him trying. It's almost certain death for him to go in there. He is still a friend to me." He had been leaning against the wall, an amused expression on his face, but now he stood up and walked over to me, putting his arms around me.  I stood stiffly, refusing to allow his touch to distract me from my irritation.

"Then you know, better than I do, I'm sure, how stubborn he is, Marian. I cannot stop him, so I help him, because he is your friend, and I love you." I let out a breath and looked into his eyes, which were now pleading with me to understand. I realized that his seeming lack of emotion was to cover up that he did care, at least where I was concerned.  Defeated, I wound my arms around his neck and leaned into him.

"Well, when you put it that way..." I brought his head down to mine for a kiss.  After a few moments I broke away, and whispered, "I just have to hope that it will turn out well in the end." He nodded his agreement, and kissed me again, urging me around and back until I was up against the wall.

His hands began roaming up and down my sides as he pressed me into the wall, brushing the sides of my breasts. I moaned softly and melted into him, my hands caressing his neck. Suddenly I heard an ominous chuckle and the last voice I wanted to hear at this moment (and most likely every moment).

"Well, well, well, what have we here?" Guy pressed his forehead to mine, his body instantly tense and his expression warning me not to say anything. I pushed him away and straightened my dress. "Oh, my dear, don't bother with the pretense now. I've seen how you really feel, so there's no need to deny it."

"I certainly wish that was the case, but as you saw I had her pretty well caged in." Guy retorted, but the Sheriff shook his head.

"That was a sorry try, Gisborne. Do you really think I could believe that? A clue...no." He leered at me and I shrank behind Guy, not enjoying the idea of being used as a pawn to get Guy to do what the Sheriff wanted.

"It's true!" I spoke up, despite Guy's warning look. "I...can't stand him! All I want is Robin!" He chuckled and shook his head.

"Please, dear, I'm not a fool. Stop treating me like one." He turned to Guy. "I want to know what that traitor had to say about Hood. Out with it. I saw him leave this room." Guy sighed and told him about Robin's plan. I was furious, but fortunately too furious to say anything, which likely would have made the situation worse. Instead I stalked out of the room and back to our bedroom to wait for Guy to finish talking to the Sheriff.

When he got back to the room, he took one look at my face and held up his hands. I stood by the bed with my arms crossed on my chest, and my look probably could have killed him if that was possible.

"Marian..." he started, and I stalked across the room toward him. He quickly closed and locked the door.

"How could you?" I asked furiously, my hands coming up to hit his chest. He grabbed my arms, effectively stopping my attack.  I struggled, but his grip was too tight for me to get free.