Night Activities

Count Frederick spent a few hours after dinner gambling, and did an excellent job of not giving away that he knew it was rigged. Of course, to draw him in, the Sheriff made sure he won the first few rounds. I stood beside him as his good luck charm, or so he said, and blew on the dice for him. I also kept his cup filled with his favorite drink. He was appropriately disappointed to lose so much money, but seemingly optimistic that he would win at some point. Eventually he grew tired and escorted me to my room.

I had noticed when Guy left an hour before; he had been leaning against the wall, seemingly ignoring the scene around him, as he had been since dinner, but I knew he was watching me and the Count the entire time. Even when the Sheriff joined him, and carried on a conversation with him, I could feel his unwavering attention. I spent the whole evening wondering what form his retaliation for my remarks would take. Whatever the form, I was confident that I would enjoy it.

The Count and I were quiet on the way to my door; he seemed tired, and I was thinking about what might be in store for me. The Sheriff had wished him a good sleep on our way out of the room, but the way his eyebrows rose and he emphasized the word sleep brought a grimace to my face. As if that wasn't enough, he reminded the Count that I was here for him in any way he wanted me to be. My cheeks acquired a rosy hue at that comment.

The Count had thanked him, but as soon as we were out the door, he asked me how I could stand being in this castle with the Sheriff. I smiled and told him I would go anywhere with Guy, even if it meant being around the Sheriff. He chuckled, and we subsided into a companionable silence. It wasn't far to my door, and we stopped and faced each other.

"I'll see you in the morning, Lady Marian," he bowed and kissed my hand.

"Until then, Count Frederick." I opened the door to my bedroom and entered as he started toward his door. The room was dark, which surprised me, and I hesitated. Usually a candle was lit, and I had expected Guy to be there since he had left quite some time ago and the Sheriff was still in the casino. Surely he wasn't sleeping? Even if he was, he would have left a candle burning for me. It was a warm night, so there wasn't even a fire in the fireplace to illuminate my way.

I turned to close the door. Just as it slipped shut, arms grabbed me from behind...one hand over my mouth and the other arm around my waist. My arms were pinned at my sides, making it difficult for me to elbow my assailant. Just a few minutes ago I had been tingling with anticipation. Now my heart was beating fast out of fear. I tried to scream against the hand, which was ineffectual, and started struggling as best I could. A firm voice spoke softly into my ear.

"I wouldn't struggle, my Lady. Things will go better if you don't." I stopped immediately, recognizing Guy's voice. He had planned his retaliation well, but he was smart to speak so quickly. I had bested him before, once as the Night Watchman and once as Marian, so he wasn't taking any chances. "That's better. If you can promise not to shout or yell, I'll release your delectable mouth." He nuzzled my neck and I moaned, nodding my head quickly. His hand came down from my mouth, and the other released my arms. Pressing his hand into the small of my back, he urged me forward. When we reached the bed, he pulled something off of it and tied it around my head, blindfolding me.

"Take off your clothes," he said in a low voice, and I complied, placing them at the foot of the bed. I heard him walk away, and guessed it was toward the smaller room attached to our bedchamber. That room was where servants slept if we required them to, which we usually didn't, so it was just storage. It was separated from our room by a curtain, behind which he probably had a candle waiting. When he came back I saw a faint glow under the blindfold, and my suspicions were confirmed. My heart was beating wildly with excitement again, and I was breathing shallowly. I felt a flutter in my belly and bit my lower lip as I thought about what was going to happen shortly.