Collaboration

I woke early on the day Guy was to come, ready to see him.  I doubted he would appear before afternoon, but if he was as eager to see me as I was him, it would be early afternoon.  Robin showed up as soon as it became obvious that I was up, and we went outside to wait.  He started telling me tales of the adventures he and the gang had been through that I hadn't been a part of.  The morning flew by quickly, and before I knew it afternoon had come.  When Guy rode up on his horse, Robin was in the middle of a particularly funny story about Much, and I was giggling hysterically. When I heard a throat clear behind me, I turned and gasped with delight.

"Guy!" I ran up to him and landed in his arms almost before he was able to get off his horse. He looked a little grim, and I stepped back, concerned. "What's wrong?" Robin stood warily, taking in Guy's scowl.  Whatever had gotten into Guy, I was almost certain the Sheriff was behind it.

"A moment, if you please." Guy said curtly, held my elbow, and took me inside. I told Robin we'd be right back as I followed, almost running to keep up with Guy's long, angry strides. Once we were inside, Guy backed me against the table and put his hands on either side of me. "Do you take me for a fool, Marian?" he growled in a low voice. I looked up at him, startled.

"What do you mean?"  He shook his head as if I was merely pretending not to know what he was talking about.  He was so close I could feel the heat emanating off him, and desire hit me, swift and hard.  I was having trouble concentrating, but what he said next pulled me out of my stupor.

"You were pretty chummy with Hood when I came up. Are you sure there isn't anything going on between you two?" His eyes looked hard, but I saw the uncertainty almost hidden underneath. Tears came to my eyes at the realization that he still felt unworthy, or that I thought he was unworthy.  I raised my hand to his jaw, and he closed his eyes, his expression tormented.

"Guy," I whispered tenderly, "I love you. Robin and I are friends, that's it. My heart is yours." He let out his breath and relaxed, leaning against me.  I held him tight and he pressed his face to my chest, his arms going around me.  I wanted to take him upstairs and show him how true those words were, but it would have to wait.  Robin was outside and we had work to do.

"The Sheriff has been busy since you left," he explained, "telling me how you were going to run off with Robin and show me a fool. I know I shouldn't have listened to him, but when I saw the two of you like that..." I brought his face to mine and silenced him with a kiss. He pressed his forehead to mine, and we stood that way for a while. I took his hand in both of mine and held it, and then brought it to my lips.  We were quiet for a few minutes, and then I leaned back and looked him in the eye.

"I will always be truthful with you, Guy, and I will never leave you. Robin is not a threat. Now, let's go outside so he can apologize to you." He nodded his assent, and we went out to talk to Robin, who relaxed when he saw us come outside. He dutifully apologized to Guy, and the three of us continued planning together through dinner. When Robin left, we had come up with half a dozen schemes that we thought would be successful. I was amazed at how Guy had changed since we married, becoming a man with his own sense of direction instead of blindly following the Sheriff.

Although they weren't friends yet, I could see the two men starting to relax a little around each other.  They still had a long way to go, but it was a start.  It never would have happened if I hadn't been in the middle, urging them toward each other.  They weren't fighting, just discussing what they thought would and wouldn't work, each bringing their experience to the planning.  I spent a lot of time just sitting back and watching, content to let them hash out the details.  I sat next to Guy, my hand either in his or resting on his leg the entire time, to help him stay calm and relaxed, and it seemed to work.