Chapter 4 - Breaking The Rules

Actually the story is just really getting started in this chapter. I have already finished writing the entire story and decided to add Friday as another update day because this fanfiction has 26 chapters now. So from now on there will be two new chapters every week :)

------------------------

I was sitting inside the observation room of the mentors between Chaff and Seeder watching the tributes moving into the arena. Each district had its own sitting area with a monitor showing what everyone in Panem watched and one monitor for each of the both tributes. 

I gasped when I saw the layout of the arena, no forest. No plants at all to be exact. The area was covered by crumbled buildings and cracked asphalt. The cornucopia was positioned on top of a large building and surrounded by twenty four buildings of the same height. The gaps between the buildings were questionable. For some it should be possible to make the jump, either to the cornucopia or onto the building of another tribute. But for those who would not be able to jump far enough, it was a huge disadvantage. Until they got off the building some tributes would have already made it to the weapons at the cornucopia. The question was how long the bloodbath would take, as not that many tributes would be able to jump that far. Capturing the cornucopia later would be almost impossible. On top of the building it was like an impenetrable castle.

The countdown was over signaling the beginning of the 73rd Hunger Games. 

Horror filled me when I saw a boy jumping into the chasm. The first cannon sound. 

This year was different. Only the careers dared to take on the jump after that. To jump after the careers would mean having a death wish. 

Countless tributes climbed down the buildings. Those who made it to the ground fled immediately. No one even tried attacking another tribute as the careers were shooting with arrows or throwing knives from above. 

This was the first year I knew without a typical bloodbath. Though still many tributes died right at the beginning thanks to the careers. 

To my relief Callie and Zet had been smart enough to climb down on the side opposite of the cornucopia. It was hard for the careers to even spot them. 

Callie and Zet ran into different directions. It was my job to look after Callie. 

She managed to hide inside one of the many buildings. I knew the expression on her face. Callie was evaluating the situation. One thing I had realized during our strategy sessions was that Callie was clever. 

A few minutes later she left the building again and walked around. I assumed she was searching for water. 

She did find a liquid but it was not water. It was cement. Did she know that? Yes, she did. I realized as she slipped out of her jacket and put it into the cement, but not completely. At first the back, then both arms but without the part of the elbows, then the front, before putting it back on. The cement dried quickly now and she had created her own amour. As she had left out the parts of her elbows, she could still move freely. Callie did the same with her pants. In a few minutes, she had protected several vital spots on her body. 

But unfortunately she did not find any water and thus rested inside a building. 

I rose from my seat. 

"Where are you going?", Seeder wondered. 

"Going to see the sponsors", I declared. 

I had to walk by the sitting areas of all districts except 12 to get out of the room. So I glanced at the monitors I was passing by. 

When I looked at the monitor of district 5 a huge explosion occurred destroying multiple buildings due to the impact. 

"What happened?", I exclaimed.