Chapter 18 - Rescue?

I had to be dreaming. They were finally rescuing Johanna?! 

"Where are they?", Katniss asked.

"Behind the curtains, sleeping out their sedatives. That was a nice shoot. Three broken victors and Boggs alone with the task to organize the rescue mission." 

"If Boggs deals with it, it should be fine", Katniss stated. 

"Oh, yeah. He has everything under control. They asked for volunteers, but he missed my raised hand to be on the safe side", Haymitch recalled. 

They kept talking, but I could not catch what they were talking about. About the person who volunteered first. My mind was going crazy at the thought of Johanna's rescue. Before I knew it, I was standing on wobbly feet next to Haymitch. 

"Where is Boggs? He has to take me with him", I told him. 

"Woah, kitten! Calm down! They already left. So, no chance." 

"You have to be kidding! There has to be a way!", I pleaded him. 

"Yeah! We can't just stay here and wait!", Katniss agreed. 

Haymitch promised us to talk to Heavensbee and left. Actually Haymitch had wanted us to sit or lay down, but of course we did not listen. Instead we moved over to Finnick and woke him up. It was cruel to rip him out of the blurry world of the sedatives, but we were all in this together. We explained the situation to him and his anxiety seemed to decrease a bit. 

"Don't you understand? Now everything will end. Either way. Tonight they're either with us or dead. That's ... that's more than we could've hoped for", Finnick clarified. 

He was right. It was kind of comforting to imagine that Johanna's torture at the Capitol would end. But I could not bear losing her, too. Though it would not be surprising, when you considered that the people closest to me were the ones getting taken from me by the Capitol first. 

Suddenly the curtain toward Finnick's bed was moved to the side. 

"If you three get a hold of yourself, I have a task for you. We still need the video clips of district 13 after the bombing. If we get that in a few hours, Beetee can possibly use it to distract the Capitol. We need something that is so thrilling that it will capture the people, that even President Snow himself can't take his eyes off the screen", Haymitch declared.

I had never experienced Katniss talking about her private life before, but now she did it. We were all motivated by the thought of getting our loved ones back. She was talking about her relationship with Peeta honestly. Then the topic changed. 

"President Snow once admitted that the Capitol was wobbly. Back then I didn't know what he meant. I couldn't think clearly because I've been so afraid. Now I'm not afraid anymore. The Capitoli's wobbly because it depends on the districts. Food, energy, even the peacekeepers, who suppress us. If we announce our freedom, the Capitol will break down. President Snow, thanks to you I'm finally able to announce my freedom today." 

Katniss' speech apparently inspired Heavensbee. "Finnick, you have a lot of secrets about the Capitol, don't you? You should spill them now and tell everyone how Snow actually treats his victors." 

All the color faded from Finnick's face. 

"I could tell them about Johanna's and my relationship. That we actually fooled them all, including Snow, because he wanted to force me into prostitution and that one year later Rue was reaped." 

The others looked at me in shock. They had not known. 

"It was an act?", Heavensbee questioned.