Chapter 21 - Last Hunger Games?

"How's Johanna doing?", Katniss asked me during training. The others could not keep up with our shooting skills. 

"She's mostly asleep", I enlightened her. "I feel guilty. I should stay with her instead of training and going to war. She trained so hard to join the battle and now she's not allowed to and to top it all I leave her behind again to fight alongside you. The last time I did that, she ended up in the Capitol", I burst out and missed my shot. 

Katniss took my gun from me. "Maybe you should put that aside when you're upset", she advised me. "Did you talk with her about it? Honestly is it possible for you to talk to her without it ending in a discussion?" 

"Johanna can be considerate. But the sedatives are suppressing her emotions. She can't think clearly. I barely recognize her right now." 

"I know what you mean", she mumbled. Peeta.

"You were right when you said that the 76th Hunger Games would be different", I stated. She sent me a questioning look. "We're up against more opponents and not against children. Everyone has decided to fight and hasn't been forced to. There can be more than one survivor and this year we can turn into true victors not just survivors." 

"And Snow is a tribute too", Katniss added with a smile. 

"Exactly. He may have won all the previous games, but his torments have only strengthened us more. It's like he trained us himself to beat him in the end." I grinned at that thought and continued training. 

My group was actually really good. Katniss was almost as skilled with her gun as she was with bow and arrow. Gale was using a special crossbow and Finnick had gotten a special trident from Beetee. It had several special functions. One of them was allowing Finnick's trident to fly back to him, when he pushed a button on his wrist cuff. Jackson, a middle-aged woman and Bogg's deputy, was able to hit targets we could not even see with the target tube. The sisters Leeg, both in their twenties, who we called Leeg one and two were looking so similar in their uniforms that I had difficulties identifying them. Two older men, Mitchell and Homes, did not talk much, but they could shoot everyone the dust off their shoes within a fifty meter distance. Though other groups were good as well and I was not sure why we were called a special unit, until Plutarch announced that we had a special task of getting filmed. Three victors in one group. It made sense now. That Katniss did not really protest made me suspicious and I suggested that she was not going to stay with the star unit, how we were called now. Katniss had always had troubles with taking orders and preferred to act on her own. With herin my unit, I would definitely participate in the battle. So I didnot bother myself too much with this special task.

At dinner I noticed that Annie was even more clingy toward Finnick than usually. I could not blame her. 

"Don't worry, Annie. We'll look out for each other. After all we're still allies, right playboy?", I used Johanna's nickname for him. 

"Sure, newbie", he teased me back. 

"Will I ever lose that status?", I sighed.

"When whole Panem is enveloped in summer and the snow has vanished", he joked making me roll my eyes with a smile. 

After dinner Annie stopped me to talk to me alone. 

"I won't stop Finnick if you want to ask me that", I clarified. 

She shook her head. "No. I'm ... pregnant. You're the only one who knows." 

I enveloped her in a hug. "Congratulations!" We smiled at each other. 

"I can't tell him. It would hold him back. But since the last meeting a few days ago, he seems so unsettled. He tries to hide it, but it only worries me more. Do you know anything?"