Chapter 14 - Crumbling Alliance

Beetee wanted to inspect the tree before executing our plan. 

On the way Johanna built the vanguard followed by Peeta and Finnick, who were switching between carrying Beetee. Katniss was the rearguard and I cleared everything from above. 

At the tree we distributed the tasks. 

Finnick and I staid with Beetee to watch over him. I was not a strong and skilled fighter like many other victors, but you should not underestimate a surprise attack from above. 

Johanna got water and Peeta nuts, while Katniss hunted some animals. 

After a while the others returned and soon later the clicking noises in the adjoining sector began. It was way louder inside the jungle than at the beach yesterday. 

"Doesn't sound mechanic", Beetee thought aloud. 

"I suggest insects. Beetles or anything like that", I stated. 

They sounded like they would be able to get down to the bones in seconds. 

"Anyway, we should get out of here before the lightning hits", Johanna reminded us. 

Hence we moved on to the blood-rain sector and ate the food we had collected. 

Beetee asked me to climb up the twin tree of this sector which I skillfully did. 

I observed the lightning tree and explained everything to Beetee, though I did not understand what the information revealed him. 

Then we went back to the beach of the ten clock wave sector. As we had enough time we took the chance to sleep. 

A few hours later we were all wide awake due to the nervousness. 

Finnick showed us how to hunt down the sea animals and we prepared a feast. 

Another parachute arrived, this time not only with the twenty-four buns but also with a hot red sauce. The food was delicious. We were more than full and still had not been able to eat everything. 

Now everyone parted ways. Katniss and Peeta were sitting together at the water. Finnick was weaving another net which he would never use before we set off. And Beetee was busy with his wire again. 

I decided to climb onto a tree. To be high up here gave me a feeling of control and safety as the trees had saved my life many times before. 

After a while Johanna joined me. The tension in the air was unsettling. The games were nearing their end. 

"You wanted to say something yesterday when the hymn interrupted you", I remembered suddenly. "What was it?" 

Johanna seemed surprised by my question. She held her hand in front of her mouth to hide it from the cameras and lowered her voice: "Protect Katniss." 

"What?", I replied confused. 

"Why are you saying that?" 

"No matter what. It's important. Promise me that you'll prioritize it over everything else." 

I felt irritated by her request. Why did she want me to do that? 

"Johanna. You hate Katniss, don't you?", I reassured. I let it sound like I had changed the topic. 

"I can't stand her! Her whole attitude is making me furious!" 

Then it did not make any sense at all or rather I could not understand Johanna's reasons. Was there a greater goal behind everything? Katniss was the face of rebellion after all. Was Johanna part of it all? Who else was in on it? And why did I not know anything? Maybe because Snow's surveillance over me had increased? At least that would make sense and explain Johanna's odd behavior. Usually she thought of herself first.