Chapter 6 - You Can Never Win The Hunger Games

For the following year Johanna and I talked a lot over the phone. 

I had also called Finnick, though his girlfriend Annie had answered the phone. We had come along immediately and Finnick had become a close friend of me, as well. He had told me that Snow was using Annie to force him into prostitution. My suggestion that Finnick was not superficial at all, had been right. 

From time to time I had visited Johanna in district 7. The forests had made me feel comfortable right away, or maybe it had been thanks to Johanna. I had to admit that it was feeling like we had known each other for ages already. And lately we had ended up spending even more time together. 

Today she was visiting me for the first time. I could not await her arrival. We had gotten the privilege to use the train to visit each other, but had to walk in the districts. When we were transported to the Capitol, a car would bring us to the train station. 

Currently Rue and and Lilie were working, while Seth, March and Taylor were at school. Only mum and Livia were at home. 

After a felt eternity Johanna's train finally arrived. 

"How long did you wait for me?", Johanna greeted me with her usual grin. 

"Can't tell. The clock of our train station doesn't work since forever", I answered laughing. 

Johanna placed her arm around my waist. We had kind of trained to look like a couple and by now it happened naturally. 

"Nice first impression of your district. Broken clock", Johanna joked. 

"Well. I never pretended to live in luxury or anything. Though my victor's house is pure luxury compared to the rest of the district", I noted. "Actually the way to victor's village is pretty long. Do you want me to give you a tour through the district, while we are at it?", I offered. 

"Sure." 

I guided her through the vegetable fields and orchards. Nothing special to me, but Johanna was eyeing everything curiously. Though she did not obviously show it. 

She watched the people doing their work, especially looking at the children climbing up the high trees to reach the highest fruits. Rue was one of them. I wanted to call out for her, but the sight of the peacekeepers stopped me. 

Johanna went on on her own and I managed to stop her just in time. "What's up?", she wondered. 

"You don't want to go there", I insisted pointing up and down. "Can't you hear it?", I questioned. 

"What?", she replied slightly annoyed. 

"The buzzing. Here are a lot of tracker jacker nests", I warned her. 

"What are tracker jackers?" 

"Special wasps created by the Capitol. Believe me. You don't want to get stung by them." 

"Did you ever get stung?" 

I shook my head. "No, but I observed the side-effects with others. It's horrible." 

I grabbed her hand and pulled her away from the buzzing. 

We continued walking and passed by a man getting whipped by a peacekeeper. Johanna looked furious and I almost had to drag her along. So she would not do anything stupid or reckless. "How can you just ignore it?", Johanna accused me. 

"It happens regularly. You grow up getting used to it", I explained. "Doesn't mean I approve it", I added mumbling. 

"Did you ever ...?" 

"Get whipped?", I finished her sentence. 

She nodded. 

"Yeah. Actually it was more or less part of my daily routine before my games."