Chapter 26 - Free

Four years later the situation had finally calmed down. 

Everyone had found their new role in the transformed country. The districts had been rebuilt and for the first time the atmosphere felt peaceful. But there was still one thing left to do. Something that should have been done way earlier, though it had not been possible due to the chaotic circumstances. 

"I propose that Katniss Everdeen should be able to live freely", I declared during the monthly live broadcast, in which all representatives talked about their decisions for Panem. Meanwhile we could see the reactions of the people watching us in the districts and the Capitol on the city square. 

Right now most people were infuriated by my suggestion. The other victor's were looking concerned but understanding. I was risking a lot with my proposal.

"People of Panem, please listen to me! As our country has changed I should be able to express my opinion without having to fear anything!" I waited for a moment until the people had calmed down and actually started listening to me. "During the whole rebellion, even before that, there has always been one question: Who is the true enemy? The most obvious answer to that has been Coriolanus Snow. But that wasn't true. If only one person had been our enemy, then how could we have let all of it happen? Were we really fearing one man? Snow manipulated us and forced us to fight against each other instead of supporting each other. He made us believe that his way was the only way for us to survive. But our true enemy wasn't Snow. It was our naivety. Our nature to be easily influenced and accepting something as the truth, because change is scary even if it is for the better. So of course we all wanted to believe that there was someone fighting for us. We were the ones bringing the mockingjay to life and President Coin supported it. Coin did everything she could to unite the districts. But do you know why? It hasn't been out of kindness and selflessness. She has been yearning for power. President Coin wasn't the person you thought she was. I know that it is devastating to hear that as we all have the deep wish to find someone we can truly entrust our future to. But Coin was just as manipulative as Snow, if not worse. She protected my family to make me risk my life for the rebellion, to move the rebels in district 11. She promised to protect the victors as long as Katniss did everything she wanted her to. She refused to rescue the captive victors from the Capitol until Katniss, Finnick and I all broke down, until her mockingjay didn't work anymore. Then the rescue mission was suddenly not too risky to try it anymore. Just like Snow, Coin turned us into mere pawns without considering our feelings. She only cared about achieving her goal. She used us the whole time and when she realized that we were too unpredictable, that we didn't follow her blindly, she purposely risked our lives hoping we would die in the war. She especially tried to kill Katniss, the face of the revolution, because she was afraid that Katniss wouldn't promote her as the new leader of Panem. After all Coin only wanted to have the power for herself. When she noticed that we were of no use for her plan anymore, but instead posed a threat to her goal, she tried to get rid of us. That's all we victors have been since our first Hunger Games to begin with: toys. Pawns that could be moved around on the game board, mere objects without feelings. As long as we could move accordingly, nothing else mattered. But did you forget, who has been there the whole time? Who has been the one fighting for all of us? Who has been the one, who opposed the Capitol over and over again risking everything for everyone? Katniss Everdeen, the mockingjay, victor of the 74th Hunger Games. The name doesn't matter. From the moment on she volunteered for her little sister, she was only used and still resisted. Katniss did what she thought would be the right thing to do. Without her we wouldn't be standing here today in a free Panem. Even in the end she acted completely selfless, sacrificed her freedom to free us by killing Coin. She took all the hate onto herself to make the revolution succeed. You wish for someone you can entrust your future with? Then tell me! Why do you repudiate the one person that has always been on your side?"