Chapter 19 - Light In The Dark

I handed Johanna some bread making her scowl: "You know that you shouldn't steal the food here in 13, right? If they catch you ..."

"They won't", I interrupted her. "In comparison to stealing food in district 11, it's nothing in 13. And even if they should catch me, they won't harm me because I'm a victor. Plus, I didn't steal it but just sneaked it out. It's my ration", I resonated. 

She pushed the bread back into my hands. "Then I don't want it."

"Why? You just take what you need, remember?" 

"Not from you", she mumbled so quietly that I almost did not hear it. 

"My body is used to way less food and you need to recover. So please?" 

Pleading usually helped. Johanna could not decline. "Jeez! Why are you always getting what you want?", she complained. 

I smiled teasingly at her: "Cause you love me." 

"Screw me." 

"Look who's talking. I knew you were head over heals for her", Finnick proclaimed while smirking at Johanna teasingly. 

"Watch yourself, Odair! One step further and it'll hurt, no matter my state", Johanna threatened him. 

Annie was standing slightly behind him holding his hand. Actually it was the first time we met after talking over the phone for months. 

"Hey, Annie", I greeted her with a smile. "Don't worry. Johanna is all bark, no bite", I reassured her. 

"Hey! What did I deserve that for?", Johanna complained. 

"Do you prefer being called cute?", I asked her, a grin started to spread over my face. 

"What's up with you?", she yelled at me. 

I kissed her hand and flashed her a smile: "I'm just happy to have you back and to be with you for real."

She quickly turned her head to the side. Was she blushing? 

"Is handsome better?", I questioned. 

"Yeah, of course. I'm super handsome with my non-existing hair and the bruises", she stated sarcastically. 

"To me you will always be the most beautiful person in whole Panem. No offense, Finnick. You neither, Annie. You two are probably the prettiest couple in Panem." 

Said couple was watching Johanna and me interacting. 

"Don't boost Finnick's ego even more", Johanna interjected. 

"Hey! I deserve love too", Finnick shot back. 

"Maybe from your girlfriend. Not from mine", Johanna clarified and inched closer to me. 

"Is someone getting jealous?", Finnick mocked her. 

Johanna had started growling now. 

"Maybe you should stop now, Finnick. Don't underestimate her. She already threw a pillow at a paramedic", I warned him, which made him laugh.

"Why?", he asked. 

"He had a shitty timing", Johanna explained. 

The same paramedic just entered the room and I burst out laughing. He had guts for showing up again. I had to give him credit for that. 

"You are still not finished eating?", he addressed Johanna looking at the bread in her hand.

"None of your business", Johanna rolled her eyes at him.