Chapter 16 - Propaganda

Learning how to shoot was pretty simple. It was rather the aiming that was tough. But hopefully it would work with enough training. Zianne even offered me to practice shooting, whenever my schedule allowed me to, except after curfew of course.

The next morning I saw that Heavensbee had dealt with my request. No theoretical lessons at all, but only physical training. And a meeting? 

At breakfast I saw Katniss and decided to join her. 

"Hey", we greeted each other with a smile. 

"Where have you been yesterday?", I asked her.

"District 12. I had to see it with my own eyes. It's horrible." 

I stayed silent, knowing that no words could make her feel better. At least as long as it were not great news. 

"They all want me to be the mockingjay and lead the revolution", she informed me. 

"What do you wanna do?", I questioned. 

"Peeta is wrong. We have to fight back. An armistice is no option for us." 

"Wait! What do you mean when you say Peeta wants an armistice?", I exclaimed confused. 

"Didn't you see the interview yesterday? I thought everyone saw it", she replied irritated. 

I shook my head. I had trained until curfew, even forgotten to eat. 

"Peeta was interviewed by Caesar. Actually he appeared to be fine, but requested an armistice", she explained. 

I felt overwhelmed. How was I supposed to feel right now? Relieved because Peeta had seemed alright and therefore I could hope that Johanna was fine too? Afraid because Peeta wanted the riots to stop, which probably meant that he had been pressured? I felt everything at once and nothing at all at the same time. 

"Honestly, I don't know what to say. I have been the leader of the rebellion of district 11 for several months. It all started with you, even if you didn't intent to cause all of this. We both have a responsibility we have to fulfill, Katniss. No matter how awful we feel, we have to keep on fighting. The people of the districts deserve hope, change and freedom", I stated. 

"I guess you're right", she sighed.

At evening there was a spontaneous gathering of all people of district 13. It was odd to be considered one of them. I guessed that Coin would just announce that Katniss had agreed to be the mockingjay. 

"Hey, (f/n)", Finnick greeted me. He was a wrack since Annie had been captured. I could not blame him. 

"Hey, Finnick." I pulled him into a short hug. 

Katniss spotted us and came over when I found my family and excused myself. Livia was placed on Mary's shoulders. By now it even wondered me that 13 had not prohibited it yet as they seemed to like to make rules for everything. 

"I can't see anything", Taylor pouted. 

"Me neither", March agreed. 

They were seven and eight years old. Time had flown by. If I could, I would take them onto my shoulders but they were too tall and heavy. 

"Attention, please!", Coin's voice interrupted the chatter. "Katniss Everdeen agreed to be our mockingjay ... under the condition that the other victors, Peeta, Johanna, Enobaria and Annie, are not going to be punished, no matter whether they work against the rebellion or not!" 

A huge discussion erupted in the crowd. They were angry that Katniss had made such a condition, but I was relieved. I had not even thought about this aspect, but after Peeta's speech ... We could not be sure what Snow would make them do. Without this condition the captives would not be safe even if we rescued them.