Chapter 11 - Irony Of Panem

During training many of the tributes showed off to scare the others away. Honestly it was intimidating to see the killing techniques I would soon be confronted with. Though I did not plan to give them a chance to use them on me. 

Currently Finnick was showing me some useful knots. I got the hang of it quite quickly. 

"You are a natural", he complimented me with a bright smile. 

"Thanks. Also for your help. You could use your time more efficiently." 

"You think so? Helping an ally is a good thing, isn't it?" 

I reciprocated his smile. 

"Talking about allies. Did anything happen between Johanna and you? You did not say a word to each other since training started", Finnick noticed. 

I sighed. "Well. We don't have to pretend being in love anymore." Though it somehow had felt real. 

"I don't know", he responded. 

"What?" 

"Was it seriously just an act? Johanna never bothers to call me, though we are friends", he enlightened me. 

"She usually called to tease me or to yell at me", I stated with a chuckle. 

"Because she cares", Finnick declared. "It's just her personality. She is blunt, but not the best when it comes to emotions. Everything ends up in rage because she is overwhelmed", he added. 

My eyes wandered to Johanna who was training with her axe. 

"I will go to the next station now", Finnick announced before leaving. 

I tried to ignore the possibility of Johanna liking me. It did not matter now. In a few days we would be fighting on the risk of our lives inside the arena. It would not change anything.

A few days later I was waiting for my interview while watching the tributes of the other districts. All of them tried to make the Capitol cancel the Quarter Quell fruitlessly. Some cried and talked about the time we and the Capitol had had together. Others talked about their loved ones like Finnick. 

Now it was Johanna's turn. I could already imagine how her interview was going to end up. "There have been a lot of tears here tonight. But I see no tears in Johanna's eyes. Johanna, you are angry. Tell me why", Caesar noted. 

Johanna laughed sarcastically. "Oh, well, yes. I'm angry. I'm getting totally screwed over here. The deal was if I win the Hunger Games, I get to live the rest of my life in peace. But now you wanna kill me again. But you know what? Fuck that! And fuck everybody that had anything to do with it!" Johanna completely ranted which I could completely understand. 

"Alright then. One woman's opinion. Who's next?", Caesar intended to distract from Johanna's furious outburst.

Many tributes later, it was my turn. 

"So, (f/n). We all know you as a caring person. But right now I'm not sure how to interpret your attitude. What was on your mind when you volunteered for the Quarter Quell?", Caesar wondered. 

"Well, Caesar. It's quite complex, to be honest. I connect a lot with the Hunger Games. My little sister, Rue, had just died shortly before the Quarter Quell was announced. I knew that Johanna was the only living female victor of district 7 and could not stand the possibility of watching her death without being able to help her, like it had been with Rue." 

Seemed like I had touched the crowd. 

"So, it was an act of love?", Caesar concluded. 

I did not know how to react to that as Johanna and I had not definitely settled how to deal with our 'relationship' now.