Chapter 5 - Puppet Master

"Johanna? Why do you even want to do this?", I asked her while getting ready for a special TV broadcast with Caesar Flickerman. Finally, I could choose my clothes myself and was not forced to be in TV. 

"Snow tried forcing me into prostitution, too. I refused and now all the people I loved are gone." 

These two sentences made me understand her a lot better. Though I feared even more now that Snow might harm my family after the TV broadcast. 

"He will keep using you, if you don't resist. And since you are a victor, your family will always be in danger. It's not a fairy tale that family members of victors often get reaped as well", Johanna told me. 

"That's not exactly helping", I shot back nervously. 

"Well. The world is cruel. Without fighting you can't win. Maybe Snow usually wins the battles, but we will win the war", she declared confidently. 

We set off toward the stage. 

"Aren't you afraid that Snow will use us against each other?", I questioned. 

"He would do that anyway if he wanted to. No matter whether we are friends or a couple", she shrugged it off. She had some nerves. 

"Ladies and Gentleman! Today we have a special broadcast with two of our recent and favorite victors! Let's welcome them with great applause! The victors of the 71st and 72nd Hunger Games! Johanna Mason from district 7 and (f/n) (l/n) from district 11!", Caesar announced. 

Johanna grabbed my hand and pulled me with her onto the stage, attempting to smile but ending up grinning. 

I smiled brightly at the cheering audience and it was making me feel sick. They only cared about their entertainment, never considering the lives of the people behind the scenes. 

Johanna and I sat down on the coach, close to each other of course. Her hand was resting on my thigh, my hand laying over hers. 

"So, Johanna. It's unusual for you to ask for such attention. What would you like to tell us today, so close after the 73rd Hunger Games?", Caesar wondered. 

"Sorry. We didn't want to steal Matthew's attention. But we will be going home soon and wanted to announce it as soon as possible, together at the Capitol", I interjected. 

"No, no. I'm sure, it's alright. What is it?" 

Silence fell over the area. You could even hear an earring fall right now. 

"(f/n) and I want to proclaim our relationship today. I'm happy to call her my girlfriend now", Johanna stated. 

Gasps were heard in the audience and soon everyone was babbling. 

"Congratulations, you two! I didn't expect that to be honest! How did it happen?", Caesar shushed the audience. They were curious. 

"We came along right away. It was love at first sight", I declared smiling lovingly at Johanna. 

She grinned back at me and pulled me closer. "Indeed", Johanna agreed and closed the gap between us to kiss me. 

Everyone cheered. 

"Such a lovely couple!", Caesar exclaimed. "When did you meet for the first time? When did you know that you loved each other?", Caesar continued the interview. 

"We already saw each others games. That was when she awakened my interest. When I saw her taking a break from talking to the sponsors I followed her. Something inside of me just wanted to get to know her. When we first talked I knew something was off. I felt strange. At that time I didn't realize that I loved her. But the urge to be close to her remained and I used every chance I could get. When she was unsettled about something I wanted to make her feel better. I had never felt like that before. But in that moment I noticed how much I wanted to make her happy and be with her as much as possible", Johanna declared. She kept looking between Caesar and me.