Chapter 23 - Survival

Whatever was making the sound, it was approaching us. We were trapped inside the narrow darkness of the tunnels and apparently Snow knew that and had sent us some company. 

Peeta yelled at Katniss to flee as she had frozen in place. "They're after me. We've to separate", she realized.

"But we're your guards", Jackson reminded her. 

"And your camera team", Cressida added. 

"Your friends ...", I stated. 

"... and allies", Finnick finished. 

"I won't leave you alone", Gale agreed. 

We divided our weapons so Cressida, Messalla, Castor and Pollux would not be unarmed and quickly showed them how to use the guns. 

After that we started moving as fast as possible, though the panic influenced the movements of the others and we were way too loud. Unlike them, I was used to move quietly in dangerous situations, but we were a team. So it did not really make a difference right now. 

We arrived in a corridor that looked like a carriageway. We stayed close to Katniss due to her order as the voices of the mutts grew louder behind us. 

Finnick pushed Katniss out of the way, right before a strange attack could hit her. 

But it had been too late for Messalla. He was surrounded by bright light and it looked like the flesh was melting from his body like the wax off a candle. 

Actually Peeta was the one who encouraged us to move on as we could not help Messalla anymore. 

When we started running, we were welcomed by peacekeepers shooting at us. They were in the majority, but we were not called special unit for nothing. Although it did not come to a battle between us as they were killed by other creatures, who looked like a mixture between humans and reptiles. 

We fled into another direction toward the surface. The ground was slippery and beneath us was a liquid none of us wanted to fall into. No one would get out of it again either. 

Gale destroyed the bridge we had left behind us with one of his explosive arrows. 

Several mutts fell into the liquid, but did not seem to care. Instead the others followed them and climbed up on the other side of us. 

We were surrounded. The only way out of here was the ladder to the surface.

Leeg one and Jackson had stayed behind earlier to give us a headstart. That the mutts had caught up to us meant that they were dead now. 

I had already climbed up the ladder, when Katniss pointed the light of Cressida's gun downward. Gale had just stated that no one but the mutts would climb up now. But Finnick was not here. 

My eyes wandered down to him as he was struggling against three mutts at once. One was just about to bite his head off as my hands moved at an incredible speed and shot the mutt. I shot with two guns at once not even knowing how I was able to aim properly as the weight of the guns should have influenced me. 

Finnick was wounded and disoriented. Without another thought I jumped down the ladder, the years of jumping off trees having been a great training. I supported Finnick toward the ladder, while shooting with my other hand. "Help!", I called up and some hands grabbed Finnick, while I fully concentrated on keeping the mutts away now. The movements of these creatures were unnaturally fast, but to me they appeared to happen in slow motion. Was this the impact of the adrenaline? I did not care as long as I finally managed to protect the people precious to me.