Chapter 12 - Reunion

Reluctantly I inspected my body. The sand had stolen my shoes, but that was my least problem. The lower the body part the higher the burn level. That was how I could describe my current state best. Even sitting hurt badly right now and I felt hot all over, like the one time I had had a fever. That was not exactly favorable, considering that I was dehydrating more with every second passing by. 

Hence I had to force myself to move on and find water. One part of me had already lost hope that there was a water source anywhere. But if not, the games would be over too soon at this heat range. 

Unfortunately jumping from tree to tree silently was almost impossible now due to my burned feet. I could not land as softly as before and the pain was immense. But on the ground I would be an easy prey for other tributes. 

Unfortunately my legs just decided to give up on me after a while and I slipped, falling to the ground. 

When I came back to my senses everything appeared blurry. 

I tried to move before realizing that I was tied to a tree. "What...?", I mumbled confused. 

My eyesight returned slowly. Finally I recognized the person in front of me. It was Enobaria from district 2. 

"Well. Now I'm dead", I thought exhausted. 

"Glad to see that you are awake now", she greeted me with a malicious grin revealing her sharp teeth. 

"Why haven't you killed me yet? And where are the other careers?", I wondered. 

"Don't worry about the others. They are just busy. More importantly I would have never thought to find your unconscious form on the ground. Luck seems to be on my side now." 

"What are you even talking about?" 

"Are you so dense or are you making fun of me? Don't tell me you don't remember! A victor never forgets their victims." 

"My victims?" 

"Don't you remember your victory tour? I'm talking about Kile. The boy from district 2 you killed during the 72nd Hunger Games. He was my younger brother." 

My face got pale. I had desperately tried to block Kile's family out during my victory tour. Otherwise it would have burnt into my eyes. I would not have been able to deal with it back then. 

Tears welled up in my eyes when I looked at Enobaria. "I'm sorry. I never wanted to kill him or anyone else but I still did it. There is nothing I could do or say to change this fact. But not I am your enemy, neither are you mine. We are just pawns meant to suffer for the Capitol. So if you want to take revenge now, if it eases your pain, then don't hold back. I would also do everything to ease the agony inside of me that seems to get stronger every day since Rue's death." 

Enobaria hesitated. We had never been heartless killers to begin with. 

Suddenly a sound erupted not far away from us. 

"I will let fate decide over you", Enobaria declared before leaving. 

I could not help but smile. She had not played after Snow's rules. Though I did not have a lot of time to enjoy this small victory as the sound approached me. It was the female tribute from district 5. She made quick eye contact with me but ran past me. 

A few seconds later I realized why. A huge wave flooded the area behind us and neared us at an incredible speed. All I could do was watch, still tied to the tree. 

I took a deep breath as the water enveloped me. At one point the ropes loosened and the wave carried me away. 

When the pressure above me decreased I swam to the surface coughing desperately. In my lousy state you could barely call my movements swimming. Without the arena wear, I would have probably drowned by now.