𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝚘𝚗𝚎

𝐚𝐟𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐲 & 𝐣𝐨𝐡𝐧 𝐛

𝐚𝐟𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐲 & 𝐣𝐨𝐡𝐧 𝐛

"She's talking to you, asshole."

"What have you done?!"

"I saved you, Dad."

"Call for help."

"Just kill me."

"You'll never win."

"I always do."

"I saved you, Dad...

I saved you, Dad."

Yeah, but you killed mine.

Affinity took in a sharp breath as her eyes shot open. Her heart lurched forward in her chest, causing her entire body to jump slightly. As she frantically searched the room, the girl quickly remembered exactly where she was. Affinity looked down, finding John B fast asleep with his head on her chest and his arms wrapped around her waist. The rapid beating of her heart was finally able to settle for a moment as she let her eyes fall back to a close. A deep breath filled her lungs and she let it out slowly, repeating this several times before she was able to regather her racing mind.

That was about as close as she had gotten to falling asleep. Affinity glanced over at the clock, noticing that the last time she checked it was only eight minutes ago. The girl let out a breath of annoyance and pinched the bridge of her nose with the hand that wasn't draped around John B's shoulders. She rubbed at her burning eyes before letting her hand flop back down on the bed. Affinity was exhausted, overly burdened with sleep deprivation...but every time she allowed her eyes to shut, they were soon filled with the intense afternoon sun, the crimson red blood that poured about the concrete and trickled onto her hands, and the wild, malicious eyes of two horrid men staring back at her.

Get out of my head.

It was just past 4:30 in the afternoon. The sun was still fairly high in the sky but had a much more golden hue to its glow as its beams danced across the lapping ocean. They had simply spent the day resting and John B had been asleep for about the whole time. The boy still stirred every once in a while but Affinity just hoped that he had reached a deep enough sleep that the nightmares had left him alone, allowing for him to claim a few hours of peace. Affinity wasn't so lucky. She had tried. All she wanted was a few moments to disconnect from the hellish situations they had been caught up in and rest.

She could start to feel how much it was truly weighing on her. These surges of adrenaline were the only things that would be able to keep her half functioning anymore. Every time she shifted slightly upon the comforter, she could feel the jarring pain of her burns from the night the church caught fire. The saltwater had helped them heal fairly well but the red patches all down her arms, legs, lower back, and face were still very sensitive. John B had helped her with cold compresses but they didn't do much.