𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝚝𝚠𝚘

𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞𝐬

𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞𝐬

"God, I still can't believe this," Kiara smiled with awe.

"You can't kill a pogue," JJ cheered. "We have to go to the hospital right now, to hell with school."

Pope nodded in agreement. "Yeah, we have to go tell Mr. McCormick."

The three of them sprinted out of the school's courtyard towards Kiara's car and piled inside. After a short drive to the hospital, Kiara located the closest spot to the front doors. She threw the car in park but that didn't stop JJ and Pope from already swinging the doors open to jump out of the vehicle. They all fell into a steady jog and stopped before the woman at the front desk.

"We need to see Connor Hendricks," Kiara spoke firmly.

JJ was already wandering down a few halls, trying to see if he could locate the nurse.

"One moment, please," the woman at the desk answered gently.

Pope was pacing back and forth while Kiara rubbed her knuckles together. JJ came running back to them, yelling," Guys! I found him!"

Kiara and Pope started after their friend, where they found JJ shouting at Connor down the hall. Connor's brows furrowed as he jogged towards them. He threw his hands out to his side.

"Jesus Christ, what's going on? What's wrong? Are you guys alright? What-" Connor rambled.

"We gotta see Mr. McCormick," JJ blurted out, cutting Connor off.

"Guys, you were here yesterday and I'm sorry, but nothing has changed," Connor explained with a frown.

"But-But he's still responding right?" Pope questioned.

Connor thought to himself for a minute. "The last time I got a response from him was the day that..." He sighed. "The day that Affinity and John B died."

Smiles slowly curled across their faces.

"Well," Kiara began. "Trust me when I say that I'm very certain we'll get a response from him this time."

Connor shook his head. "What do you mean?"

"We'll get there," JJ insisted. "Just please take us to him."

He nodded his head down the hall. "Follow me."

Connor led him to Mr. McCormick's room. Of course, Affinity's father hadn't moved at all, not an inch since the day he was omitted. It looked like Connor had just changed the bandages that were wrapped around Daniel's head, for their stark white contrasted his tan skin and dark hair that dangled before it. His stubble had grown to be a short beard. The swelling in his face from the rushing blood had gone down catastrophically. Connor had told them that the hematoma had caused this swelling and after they removed it, the surging pressure of the blood was able to go down. The sight of Mr. McCormick was hard for the pogues to look at. It was hard to see such a lively man look so lifeless, but the monitor beeping in the corner of the room stated otherwise.