𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚢

Affinity drummed her fingers nervously on the steering wheel

Affinity drummed her fingers nervously on the steering wheel. Shoupe had given her the green light to go pick up John B from the local prison. She couldn't contain her excitement. Seeing his face again would put her soul at ease after days of chaos. Of course Affinity knew that thing never completely settled, but at least she would be with the boy she loved. She had found the keys to the Twinkie and drove it to pick him up herself. The crack in the windshield from when John B busted through the fence and sped after Ward in his getaway plane took her back to that awful day on the tarmac. Everything that was wronged that day was finally receiving its justification. The thought was sweet to her, and she wanted to savor every second of it.

Her phone buzzed next to her. She looked down at the screen, seeing that Connor had texted her with an update on her dad: "Got him back alright. There seemed to be some traces of serious overstimulation amongst his brain activity but I figured as much. I ran another CAT scan and it depicted an increase in nerve damage. It doesn't look like anything serious but I will continue to monitor. He's sleeping right now but my goodness is that stubborn. I had to use a sedative. I haven't heard any word from Doctor Wrede or the hospital about sneaking him out last night. I'll keep you posted. Let me know what happens with John B and the arrest of the Camerons."

Affinity texted him back: "Will do. Sorry that you're now the one who has to deal with his stubbornness."

He responded: "Not a problem. He's my favorite patient :)"

Through her rolled-down window, her ear perked up at the sound of a metal door clicking open. Her eyes rose to find John B just how she left him on that day in the marsh. His red shirt and blue shorts were still stained with mud, the bandana hung loosely from his neck, and his backward hat allowed for his beach waved, chestnut hair to frame his face. And then her eyes met him across the gravel drive. They were tired and written with sorrow, but she swore a spark of hope caused them to widen as he saw her.

John B felt a weight suddenly lift off his chest. "Affinity," he exhaled.

Affinity flung herself out of the driver's seat and raced to the base of the stairs that rested before the building. Her feet sprung from the ground and wrapped around his waist. One of his arms circled her waist as the other snaked up her back while his hand cupped her head, bringing her as close as humanly possible. It was heavenly.

"You're here," his voice rattled. "Oh my God, you're here."

"Of course I am," she assured.

"T-Thomas told me that your-your dad came and testified and that was the reason why I-I got out," he stammered in disbelief. "Is this true? Is he awake?"

Affinity had a pure smile across her face. "Yes. With evidence that the pogues found and his testimony, you're free as a bird, Vlad."

He wrapped his arm around her shoulders as he fashioned his Russian accent. "Oh, but are you scared, Vivian? You shall be running with ex convict...you are going down dangerous path, dangerous life."