𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝚘𝚗𝚎

"I still can't believe you're related to Denmark Tanny!" John B exclaimed, patting Pope on the shoulder and handing him a can of beer

Pope had elaborated on what his mee-maw told him. She had explained that Denmark and Cecilia Tanny were her great-grandparents but had kept it a secret from Pope and Heyward because she didn't want any of the consequences that the Tanny's had experienced to haunt their family. It was a horrific story, about how Denmark was murdered, and it really seemed to stir Pope up. Affinity understood that originally this story and relation was supposed to be a burden, but she couldn't help but be intrigued by this ancestry and excited about what this meant for them.

John B continued with the skit. "Are we in the presence of a royal?"

"A king?" JJ gasped.

Affinity raised her can of beer. "He that only deserves headpieces of gold and jewels upon his chest?"

JJ pretended to place a crown upon Pope's head, fashioning a British accent. "We shall crown him. All hail the lord of Tannyhill!"

All of the pogues pretended to bow down to him.

"We're not worthy!" Kiara jeered.

Pope laughed and tried to stop the nonsense. "Everybody relax. Can we relax, please?"

"And when will we be moving into your new mansion?" Affinity pondered. "I need expensive soaps and salts."

"Yeah, I kinda need a place to live," JJ said, clicking his tongue.

"Me too," Kiara chimed in.

JJ held his hand out for a high five. "Bunk beds?"

"Bunk beds," Kiara agreed, giving him his desired high-five.

Pope scratched his head nervously. "I just keep thinking about the letter, the one that Limbrey sent. It had the wheat symbol on it. That must mean it has something to do with the Royal Merchant."

"Yeah, something seems fishy," JJ agreed.

"But if we find that cross, we can split it like we were gonna split the gold," Pope pointed out.

JJ raised his beer can. "Yeah, I'm with that."

"And live happily ever after?" A smooth yet foreboding voice spoke, practically shushing the group.

Their eyes rose to find Limbrey hobbling closer, her crutches thumping upon the fragile, water damaged wood. Her designated bodyguard hovered to the right of her. The group stiffened and started to create distance between them and the two. John B gravitated closer to Affinity and naturally stepped in front of her in case any harm came her way. Pope showed no fear, he stepped closer to her.

"You assaulted my father," he boomed bitterly with gritted teeth.

"Oh, I didn't assault anybody," Limbrey said softly, trying to claim her innocence.