𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗

Affinity had been to the Boneyard at least a hundred times, it's the spot where the youth of the Outer Banks hosted parties and everyone came together to have a good time, even the kooks and pogues were able to tolerate each other enough to share ...

Affinity had been to the Boneyard at least a hundred times, it's the spot where the youth of the Outer Banks hosted parties and everyone came together to have a good time, even the kooks and pogues were able to tolerate each other enough to share that side of the beach. John B pulled up to the side of the road where the sand met gravel and put the van in park.

"Let's roll," he cheered as he and JJ opened the car door to hop out of the van and grab four or five sleeves of cups while doing so.

Kiara and Affinity hoisted the keg of beer out of the back seat while Pope carried the spigot. When the girls reached the log near the center of the beach, they plopped the heavy keg down so that Pope could attach the spigot. John B ripped open a sleeve of Red Solo cups, filled one up to its rim, and offered it to Kiara. JJ, on the other hand, ignored the cups and turned the nozzle on to shoot beer in his mouth. The others groaned while they tried to dodge the beer that was spraying through the air. Affinity snatched the nozzle back from him and poured a cup for him. He took it graciously and began to stumble his way down the beach as if he were already wasted. Affinity filled a cup for John B and Pope, who denied it, so she took it for herself.

It didn't take long, maybe only 15 minutes, for the rest of the island to show up. Dozens of kooks and pogues quickly showed up, along with a group of tourists that they called Turons.  Affinity had always been a people person, but she could never handle idiotic, drunk people, and that and always been quite apparent during these parties. She found herself wandering away from the big crowd and was sitting close enough to the ocean that the water could travel up the shore to reach her toes. She hugged her jacket closer to her when the cool ocean breeze blew by. Only the sound of waves lapping filled her ears until she heard the sound of sand shifting behind her. A boy plopped down next to her, a boy she didn't recognize. He had to be a tourist.

"Well, hello there," the boy gave her a drunken smile.

"Uh, hi?" Affinity answered uncomfortably. "You're absolutely wasted, aren't you?"

"Psh, no," he hummed, carrying to the 'no' out in his speech.

"Sure," Affinity scoffed sarcastically. "I came here to avoid  the drunk idiots."

The boy's scrunched up. "Well, that's not very nice."

Affinity groaned and stood to her feet. "C'mon, buddy, let me take you back."

He pushed himself up to stand. "Why don't you let me take-"

"If you finish that sentence, I'll feed you to the sharks."

"Damn," he slurred. "You're a toughy."

Affinity rolled her eyes and slung his arm over her shoulder.

"Well, look who's coming onto who now?" He chuckled.

"Shut up."

After several minutes of struggling with the drunk boy to get him to walk, they reached the rest of the group. Another boy emerged from the crowd and quickly took the boy from Affinity's support.