𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎

As morning came to Affinity and John B, something happened that hadn't happened in a long time

As morning came to Affinity and John B, something happened that hadn't happened in a long time. The sun shone. Yes, the sun often shines every day in the Outer Banks, but it was different this time. One could actually appreciate the warmth after being stuck in the cold embrace of death and hardship. One could enjoy the light after being ridden with times of darkness. Once more could those wonderful sensations could be felt again.

These thoughts ran through Affinity's head as she awoke, the sun peeking out over the trees, shining through the window onto her bare shoulders. A smile lifted over her lips as she took a deep breath, one that felt real and satisfactory. Her eyes shifted to look up at John B, who was still asleep. His chest rose softly, gently lifting her head. This was heaven to her. He was heaven to her. She couldn't help but notice that for the first time in months, she felt safe.

The sun warmed her from the outside in as she bathed in its light. The breaking of this new day reminded her that this was finally the day her father was coming back home, to their own creaky, wooden sanctuary. Excitement started to rise in her heart. She kissed John B's chest and squeezed him tightly. This gesture offered a slow and gentle awakening to the boy as his eyes fluttered open.

He smiled, his hand rubbing the soft, perfect skin over her shoulders and back. "Mornin', babe."

Affinity kissed below his jaw. "Good morning."

"You ready to have him back?"

"More than you know."

He hugged her, kissing the top of her head. "Well, let's go get him."

"Don't you have school?"

"Yes, but more importantly, I have my beautiful girlfriend and her wonderful father to Uber around today."

"Pope's gonna yell at you for missing that Geometry test."

"What doesn't he yell at me for." He kissed Affinity and started to sit up, but quickly realized how vulnerable he was. "Um, ma'am, where exactly did you throw my clothes?"

Affinity chuckled and pointed to the shorts on her chair.

"Ah, thank you."

The two got dressed and got inside the van to start off towards the hospital. Once they arrived, Affinity was in through the door in a matter of seconds and hurried to her father's room, looking for Connor along the way. John B was hot on her heels, impressed with how fast she was moving with a limp that still tugged at the side of her body that had handled the bullet. Affinity rounded the final corner, seeing that Connor was just outside her father's door.

"Connor!" she exclaimed, a smile stretching across her cheeks.

He smiled back at her, pulling his hands out of his scrub pockets to present himself. "The moment you've all been waiting for."

He flung open the door so that Affinity found her dad pulling on his shoes. He looked up at her, so relieved to see his daughter with a genuine smile again. He quickly finished the final knot in his laces and stood up to receive her anticipating hug.