𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚎

Ever since John B discovered the compass, he was quiet the rest of the evening

Ever since John B discovered the compass, he was quiet the rest of the evening. Affinity guessed that he didn't even know what to think or do with it. She and the others decided that it was probably best to give him some space and went home. Kiara drove Affinity home so that she could get to bed since she and John B had to return the tanks the next morning. But yet again, she couldn't sleep. That compass had opened a completely different can of worms and Affinity wasn't sure John B was ready to do something about it yet. Or maybe he knew exactly what he wanted to do and he still didn't trust her enough to tell her.

Go figure.

What she did know was that that compass was valuable in some way. Why else would those two men shoot at them? Those men knew exactly what they were looking for and now it's sitting in John B's house.

Affinity decided that sleep was useless at this point so she dragged herself out of bed and to her living room. The moon beamed through the window, forming the silhouette of her father sitting on the couch, hunched over so that his face was in his hands.

"Dad?" Affinity whispered.

"Hey, Peach," his sleepy voice croaked. "What are you doing up?"

"I'm always up," she spoke as she flopped down on the couch next to him and rested her head on his lap.

His rough hand ran her hair. "You still have a lot of trouble sleeping, don't you?"

"Always," she sighed.

"Do think there's anything that is keeping you up?"

Affinity thought about it for a moment, realizing that there usually was something on her mind. Whether it was school or sports or her parents' broken marriage, and now, some mystery compass that people tried to kill them for that is also connected to John B's supposedly dead father.

"Now that I think about it," Affinity began. "Yeah, I think so."

"Anything you want to talk about?" He hummed.

Affinity nuzzled herself deeper into the cushions of the couch. "I'm just having a hard time fitting in right. I mean- I don't know, I guess I feel like I'm intruding."

Mr. McCormick's brows came together. "What do you mean?"

"I think I lived in a bubbled up life more than I thought. I want to change that."

"We all have baggage, Fin. Yes, some more than others, but differences like that shouldn't keep people apart," he spoke softly.

"I'm probably just overthinking," Affinity shrugged, trying to remain positive about the situation. "I'll talk to Ki, maybe it's still too soon."

"Well, you aren't exactly what we call patient," he chuckled.

Affinity rolled her eyes and sat up. "Shut up." Affinity turned herself so that she was square to her father. "So, what's keeping you up?" Before he could answer, Affinity remembered that he went to talk to Kiara's dad about a job at his restaurant. "You didn't get the job did you?"