𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛

Affinity was emotionally torn

Affinity was emotionally torn. Her thoughts bombarding her mind as she sat quietly on the floorboard of John B's van. If she was being honest, everything that had just happened back at the house was exactly what she was was looking for.

Adrenaline.

Excitement.

Friends?

But more than anything...

A distraction.

Essentially every aspect that makes her summers everything to her. Affinity is an outstanding student and works endlessly during the school year, which is why summer is so important to her. It's her time to be completely free without any commitments or worries, a moment to decompress. Maybe her father was right, maybe this was what she needed. But did these people need her?

"Hey, Affinity!"

Affinity instantly snapped out of her thoughts and looked at John B, who was the one that was calling her name apparently.

She cocked a brow at him. "Yeah?"

"You alive back there? I've been trying to get your attention."

"My bad, I guess I got used to kook," she retaliated.

"Man you got bite," JJ remarked with a laugh. "I respect that."

"Anyway," John B continued. "What do you think about pogue life?"

"It's uh– different."

"Hm, is that so?" John B slowed the van down like he was going to turn into Affinity's driveway.

Pope jokingly pulled out a notebook and pen. "Now would you describe that different as a good sensation or bad?"

"Definitely good," Affinity laughed.

"Well in that case," John B grinned as he pushed harder on the accelerator.

Affinity's sight followed her house that was disappearing behind her. "John B you just passed my house."

"I know, kook."

<<<<>>>>

"I now introduce you to my one and only baby, the HMS Pogue," John B grinned proudly as he hopped into the small boat that was tied to the dock.

"JB practically lives on this thing," Kiara muttered to Affinity.

"What is this like initiation? Do I have to drink some mystery liquid from some ancient cup?" Affinity muttered back.

Kiara stepped onto the boat and sighed, "You never know with these guys."

Affinity paused but reluctantly stepped into the boat while JJ unraveled the rope that kept them docked. She plopped down next to Kiara at the stern of the boat. John B turned the engine over, backed the boat out, and cruised out into the canal. Affinity leaned back and closed her eyes, feeling the hot sun on her face and the breeze keeping her long, blonde hair from her face.