𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

"Okay, John B, I need you to breathe for me, please," JJ said as he approached his friend, holding his hands out to motion for John B to calm down

John B pinched his temples anxiously. "JJ, I don't think you understand. I-I could literally be this close to figuring out what happened to my father." Once those words escaped John B's mouth, he realized that he had completely barged into the house of a family he knew so little about. He locked eyes with Mr. McCormick, who only stood there, completely dumbfounded by what John B was saying. "Crap," John B muttered. "I'm so sorry- I-I didn't mean to-"

"It's okay, son," Mr. McCormick said sweetly, waving John B's apology away. "Whatever this is, it sounds like it's very important to you."

"Th-Thank you for understanding," John B stuttered, his mind obviously fixated on something that had the potential to drive him insane.

Affinity placed a hand on her father's shoulder and whispered to him, "Like I said, I'll explain everything later."

Mr. McCormick nodded reluctantly but Affinity could easily see the worry in his tired eyes. His inner cop was screaming in his head, telling him that something wasn't right. But despite that, he forced a smile. "Alright, well go on then."

"Are you sure?" Affinity inquired.

He nodded in response and hugged her close to peck a kiss on the top of her head. "Just promise me you'll be careful."

She sent him a smile as she left with the others. "Always."

Affinity shut the door behind her and jogged out to the van. Pope waited for her to get inside before he followed behind and slid the van door shut. She plopped down next to Kiara, who seemed very concerned about John B's neurotic behavior. Affinity's hand reached for Kiara's and gave it a reassuring squeeze, earning a soft smile from Kiara.

"Can't really believe I'm going to be the first to ask this," Affinity spoke out from the darkness. "But where exactly are we going?"

John B let out a heavy exhale. "It's easier if I just show you."

Affinity nodded to herself and slouched back in her seat.

"You mind if I just relax on this one?" JJ sighed, sitting up from where he laid on the floor, twirling the joint in his fingers. "It's been a long day, and a lot of weird stuff's gone down so I'm just gonna lay low on this one." Pope shot JJ a look of annoyance. "Oh, I'm sorry, did you want a hit of this?" JJ said, offering it to Pope.

Pope pushed it away. "I keep the signal clear."

"Okay, dude, do you understand that your problem is that you don't get creative? If you get creative, then-"

"Look, I- I know I was wrong about the lighthouse," John B interrupted. "And wrong about everything else going on." John B swallowed the lump that had developed in his throat. "But I'm right about this one. My dad is trying to tell me something."