Rainy day

After some time we finally decided to step outside and seize the day.
Orion opened the door of the cabin, only to discover that it was raining like crazy.

„So much for seizing the day" I thought and furrowed my brows while I watched Henry running from one side of the deck to the other, covering his head with one of the books that was in the treasure chest before stopping in his tracks to look at us standing in the door of Orion's cabin.

He raised one eyebrow and suddenly started to grin from ear to ear, seeming like he just figured something out, before continuing to run below deck.

„We probably look really suspicious standing here" I figured and looked at Orion.

„Probably" he chuckled but out his arm around me anyway.
„Let them think whatever they want"

„What can we do on this rainy day?" I asked.
„There are plenty of things. Scrub the deck, clean the dishes, roll up some ropes" he began and smirked mockingly.

„I meant for fun" I chuckled and hit his arm playfully.

„Why didn't you say that? You really should've been more specific" he grinned and took my hand, leading me below deck.

I was only down here on rare occasions, it was the place where the crew sleeps and most importantly it was also where the rum is stored.

The whole room was filled with hammocks hanging from one beam to the other.

But in the middle there was a big round desk with plenty of chairs around it and some of the crew already sitting on them, playing some kind of cards game.

In another corner sat Gibbs and Jasper flexing their muscles while arm-wrestling.

I heard a song being sung and turned arounf to face three crewmates with their arms around eachother singing a shantie while sharing a bottle of rum.

Over all everyone seemed pretty cheerful for such a rainy day.

„Still thinking there's nothing to do around here" I heard Orion ask and I shook my head while walking towards the big table.

„What are they playing?" I wondered.

„A game called Catfish. It's a deck of cards full of different sea animals and you have to find the pairs, however there is one singular black card called the catfish. The players have to draw cards from eachothers decks and try their best to hide that they have drawn the catfish in hopes to pass it onto someone else. The person to last have the catfish when all cards are drawn loses and has to mark their nose with coal to show everybody else that they have lost"

In that moment the game finished and Henry angrily threw the catfish card onto the table and swore. The other pirates laughed and one already held the piece of coal to stain Henry's nose.

„That look like fun" I said „can I play?"

The pirates nodded and Henry gave up his chair willingly and headed over to the rum storage.

„Capt'n are ye going to play too?" one asked and Orion sat down next to me.

„Bring it on"

I quickly understood the game and tried my best to find pairs and avoid the catfish. It was my turn to draw a card from Orion's deck and I hesitated, trying to pick the right one.