In the eye of the storm

The following night I was woken up by a loud crash. The ship was fluctuating and I heard the sea roaring. Another loud crack was heard, we were in the middle of a thunderstorm, it seemed.

I rushed on deck to see the crew, drenched by the rain, trying to control the massive ship. Everybody was running around and through everything I could hear Orion shout orders. The rain, mixed with seawater blurred my vision and soon I was soaking wet as well. I could hardly keep my balance because the ship was moving so much.

„Amelia go back inside" I heard Orion shout and this time I was actually glad to follow one of his orders. I went back into my cabin but watched the others still running around in the rain.

I screamed when I saw a big wave crashing down onto the boat, almost  washing Jasper over board, luckily he held onto a rope in the last second. Another bright flash appeared, followed by a loud crack and I saw that a lightning had hit the mast.

I watched flames, hungrily eating the mast but luckily the rain was so heavy that the fire went out quickly. I looked over to Orion who was soaking wet but still shouting orders and holding a rope with all his strength. He looked exhausted. I couldn't just watch and do nothing, I felt so useless.

I decided to ignore his order for me to stay inside and ran outside to help him.

Through the roaring of the waves I could hear Gibbs' angry voice shouting: „This is not my first storm and it sure as hell isn't going to be the last" while he tightly held onto the ship.
I made my way towards where Orion was standing.

The rope looked like it was going to slip out of his hand every moment and I quickly grabbed it, holding it tightly although I had no idea what it was there for anyway.

He looked relieved and nodded at me approvingly. We stayed like that for what felt like hours until the storm finally calmed down.

The men laid on deck, in exhaustion. Everybody, including me was completely soaked but smiling.

I sat down and started wringing out my clothes.
„Good job everybody" I heard Orion say as he sat down next to me and pushed the wet hair out of his face. I shivered, now that the adrenaline was no longer rushing through me I noticed how cold the rain and seawater was. The crew got up to head back to their cabins and warm up a little, they probably had extra clothes to change into.

The only thing I had was my half-ripped princess gown and I was not going to squeeze myself in there again.

„You should probably go warm up or you will get sick" Orion said concerned. I went back to my cabin and looked around, unsure of what to do. I couldn't just lay in bed with my wet clothes on but I also didn't want to go to bed naked. I heard a knock on the door and quickly answered. „I figured you might want something dry to wear" Orion said and handed me a stack of clothes.

I smiled and couldn't help but hug him. I don't know what came over me.
He seemed startled but after a short moment I felt his strong arms wrap around me protectively. I sobbed a little, I was still shaken up by the whole situation and a lot had been building up inside me since the moment I've been kidnapped. He simply accepted the hug and stroked my hair with one hand while holding me close with the other one. „Shh it's okay, it's over now" he said quietly.

I sniffled and slowly pulled away from the hug only now realizing that I just hugged my kidnapper.

„Thank you for the clothes" I mumbled and he smiled. „You're welcome, they might be a bit big but they will do"

Then he left and shut the door behind him.
I put on the soft clothes, they were far too big but at least they were dry. I cuddled up in my bed again and inhaled the scent of the clothes, they smelled like him and I caught myself enjoying his scent. I smiled happily as slowly I drifted off to sleep.

I got up in the morning and took a careful look outside. The sun was shining and if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would've never believed that there was a big storm just a few hours ago.

I was greeted by some crew members, drying their clothes on an improvised clothesline made out of ropes from the ship. I hung up my clothes too and sat down to listen to the conversations of the crew.

They were talking about an island and a hidden treasure that we were headed to. Excitement started to build up inside me.

Are we really going on a treasure hunt?
I had read plenty books about people finding treasures but never actually thought of finding one myself. I saw Orion come up to me, eyeing my outfit, smiling. I had made the best out of his big clothes by wrapping a belt around my waist to keep everything in place. „Looks good on you" he grinned and I rolled my eyes, chuckling.

„Does the mast have any damage from last night?" I quickly changed the subject and looked up.
„A little but nothing we can't fix so it's alright" he answered happily and crossed his arms in front of his chest.

„I heard we are headed towards an island to find a treasure" I started and he chuckled:„Always spying on other conversations huh?"
„I have to, to keep me sane. At least that way I'm getting some information" I said reproachful. „Since you never tell me anything, not even where you come from"

He chuckled and pretended to think for a moment.
„Alright, I'm a lost prince from Spain, cursed to travel the sea forever until I am kissed by a young maiden and redeemed from the curse" he grinned and I groaned in annoyance.

„Very funny" I said and he laughed. „You'll never know until you try it out" he said and puckered his lips jokingly.

„I am not going to kiss you" I chuckled and shoved him away playfully.
We stayed silent for a while.
„I was so scared yesterday" I finally brought out.

„You'll get used to storms, they''re not that big of a deal. In fact we have seen worse" he shrugged.
„What scared me the most was Jasper almost being washed into the sea" I said, remembering last night.

„Ay, that would have been bad. But maybe he would have been able to hold himself above water long enough for us to pull him out" he contemplated.
„I'm happy that didn't happen to me...I can't even swim" I admitted.

Orion turned his head in shock: „What are you doing on a ship then?"
„Well, as you may remember: I didn't board this ship out of free will. It was never planned for me to be on a ship" I answered and crossed my arms reproachfully.

„Right...but still ye tried to escape in one small paddle boat the same night. Man you have some guts to do that if you can't swim" he laughed and scratched his head.

„No but seriously, how do you not know how to swim?" he questioned.
„It just didn't seem to be a ladylike activity for a princess, thus I never was taught how to do it" I shrugged.

„Ok well on the next given opportunity, we'll change that" he stated and grinned in anticipation. Oh boy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ahoi,
what did you think of this chapter? I would love to hear opinions and suggestions❤️also please vote if you enjoyed reading this🦋
Have a nice day!