Betrayal

The search began after we had put on dry clothes. I still didn't know what exactly we were searching for but I was just glad to stand on dry land for once.

The pirates kept gathering around a map, trying to find the right direction and I followed them silently. Man, it will be so weird talking to ladies again once I'm back after being surrounded by only men for weeks.
Would they even believe my stories of what I experienced?

We made our way across the beach and traversed a huge jungle-like forest before the group abruptly stopped.

„Look for a stone with an anchor symbol on it, it must be here somewhere" Orion said and the crew split up in different directions, searching. After a while I heard someone shout: „Capt'n I found it!" and everybody quickly made their way towards the sound.

I followed them curiously and watched as three of them tried to lift the heavy rock. They shoved it to the side and it revealed a big, dark hole that looked pretty deep.

Orion lit a torch and the dark hole revealed an old staircase, leading down into the darkness.

„Alright men, if the map tells the truth, the treasure is hidden down there" Orion said and the crew cheered.

„But who will go down there?" Gibbs asked and the pirates pointed at each other, none of them really wanting to enter the dark hole. „That's why our dear princess is here" Orion said and my heart skipped a beat. Me?

„I am not going in there, you want the treasure, you go in there yourself" I said and took a few steps backwards, glaring at him.
„I can't. The legend says that only a noble person is allowed to enter this cave. It was built by an ancient king and cursed so that no normal person would ever reach the treasure. So please, after you" he said and I looked at him in disbelief.

„That's why you refused to let me go? I knew I shouldn't have trusted you" I whispered as I was lead to the cave by two of the pirates. Orion avoided my gaze and pointed towards the entrance.

The crew surrounded me, looking compassionate but determined to get the treasure.

„You can not force me to do this for you" I spat angrily and struggled to free myself from the group that was surrounding me.
Orion smiled: „I think I can but let me tell you, you would not like that alternative so just stop being stubborn"

I shook my head and sat down on the ground, refusing to move when I heard a click of a gun, pointed at me.
„Come on luv, your job is not that hard. Just get the treasure and everything will be fine" he said and tears swelled up in my eyes. It was like I didn't know him anymore.

I bit my lip and slowly inched towards the cave. I set my foot on the first step, testing if it could hold my weight.

Why was I ever so foolish to believe that a pirate could be genuinely nice for once? Why didn't I see it coming that every pirate would choose gold over anything else?

Everyone seemed to be holding their breath as I took another step and then another. The torch in my hand only provided just enough light for me to see where I was going but not much else. My heart was beating rapidly as I made my way into the darkness, not knowing what to expect down there.

It smelled old and musty and the walls were wet and full of moss and spider webs. I shrieked a little when I saw a huge spider right next to me but continued walking.

The ground at the end of the staircase was sandy and crunched a little with every step I took. I looked around but the small room I was in seemed empty.

„I can't see any treasure" I shouted.
„It says that there should be another anchor sign on the wall somewhere" I heard Orion's voice echo through the room. I began running my fingers along the walls and searching for the sign.

It took a while but I finally found it.
„Now push against the stone" he demanded and I hesitated for a moment but used all my power to push against the stone.

It actually moved and I heard it fall to the ground behind the wall. Suddenly everything started shaking and I stumbled to the ground. This was it, the walls were going to collapse and bury me alive.

Goodbye world, it was nice knowing ya.

„Everything okay down there?" I heard Orion shout concerned but I didn't answer, I had bigger problems.

I squinted my eyes and cowered, waiting for the shaking to be over.
I slowly opened my eyes and saw that only the wall in front of me had collapsed, revealing a tiny treasure chest. This couldn't be it. I reached for it and studied it curiously. It wasn't locked and I opened it slowly.

I gasped at the sight in front of me. The small treasure chest was fully filled with sparkling diamonds.
I picked one of them up and turned it between my fingers. It was heavy and reflected the light from my torch, perfectly.

„Amelia are you alright?" I heard Orion shout again, sounding worried. Yeah right, worried about his treasure of course.

„I'm fine" I responded and quickly hid one of the diamonds in my pocket. I deserved to have my share, after all I did the dirty work for them. I picked up the treasure chest and made my way back to the staircase.

The torch was almost out and I was surrounded by darkness as soon as I reached the staircase.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yay, a treasure!
Nay, Orion is kind of a jerk...
What did you think of this chapter?
I'd love to hear opinions and suggestions❤️
Also please vote if you enjoyed this chapter🦋
Have a nice day!