New acquaintances

I woke up the next morning to the sound of footsteps on the deck.

I yawned, trying to stretch my body but the fact that my hands were still tied up made it a little difficult.

Suddenly I heard a knock on the door and before I could answer a small, chubby man waddled in. „Mornin' " he smiled and I looked at him unsure. I hadn't really seen him on this ship before. „I'm Wadley Smutje, the cook on this ship" he introduced himself and released me from my bonds. „Am here to bring ye somethin' to eat"

„Thank you uh...Mr Smutje" I said politely and smiled at him. „Arr, just call me Wadley 'tis what everybody does, we're not fancy here" he said and handed me a plate with bread on it and what looked like jam.

„Hope yer like it, nothin' special but enough to be happy" he smiled and with that he left again.

I was so busy with worrying about being kidnapped that I hadn't realized how hungry I actually was, so I quickly started eating.

The bread wasn't that fresh and I was not sure what fruit the jam was made of but at the moment it was like heaven, finally eating something.

After I was finished eating I got up and curiously peeked outside the door. Everybody was already busy working on deck. I went outside and observed them quietly.

I always liked watching people and imagining their stories. For example that guy with the eye patch, how did he lose his eye? Maybe in a fight with a monster or due to a disease?

I got lost in my thoughts when I was suddenly interrupted by someone appearing next to me, leaning on the walls of the cabin. „Morning birdie, slept alright?" the Captain asked.

I stayed quiet and kept watching the crew, refusing to look at him. He sighed: „I know that you hate me and you have every reason to do so but you will be here quite some time so maybe you can put the grudge aside and be a nice lady"

„I've never been a lady, never will be" I mumbled.
He looked at me amused: „Is that so?"

„Why am I here?" I asked and finally turned my head to look at him. His dark brown eyes seemed a bit lighter in the sunlight and his lips curved up into a smile. „Can't tell you that, professional secret" he winked.

I could see he was enjoying this but I would not plead for an answer, I still have my dignity.

„Alright, then don't tell me" I said coldly and tried to sound as unbothered as possible. That wiped his stupid grin off his face. He turned his head back into the direction of the crew and blinked against the sun in his eyes.

I shifted around uncomfortably, how was I able to sleep with my corset on? Why did they have to kidnap me on a corset day out of all the days?

„Something wrong?" he asked and I shook my head. „Except I'm stuck here, no." I spat. I know I'm stubborn but I tried keeping up the facade of being strong.

He rolled his eyes, clearly noticing something was wrong but brushing it off.

I decided to make my way to the front of the deck and look at the sea. My father was probably worried sick and Faye too. I sighed and let a small tear escape my eye. I felt the Captain staring at me from across the ship, probably trying to read me.

I quickly fixed my posture and wiped away the tear, I could do this.

The sun was burning on my skin and I felt my face heat up, I needed to get out of the sun. I walked back to the shadowy part of the ship and sat down on a small bench, crossing my arms. The Captain was no longer there, he had switched to the steering wheel.