At night

I tossed and turned in my bed, listening to the castle slowly going quiet. After a while I was completely sure everyone had gone to bed, except for the night guards patroling the corridors.
I had no idea how to free Orion but at least I could visit him and apologize for the way it all went down. Plus, I missed him terribly and knowing that he was wounded made it even worse leaving him alone. I needed to see him.

I moved the covers and set my feet on the ground. I shivered as my feet touched the cold marble floor, so I put on some shoes and slipped an overcoat over my nightgown.
I carefully opened my bedroom door and peeked outside, no guards in sight.
It was pitch dark, only the moon that shone through the windows lightened the hallway.
Luckily I knew this castle blindly, after all, this was not my first time sneaking around at night.

I remember back when a cat had given birth in the stables and little me just couldn't resist visiting the kittens I was otherwise not allowed to see. I was grounded for two weeks when they caught me one night, after that the cats had probably moved to another place and sadly I didn't see them again.

But this time I would not get caught, I could not afford to.

My first stop was the pantry, luckily nobody was here at this hour and I had enough time to grab some food and beverages.
Just when I was about to reach for my last item I heard a footsteps approaching.
I hurried towards an old rack filled with lots of jars and tried to breathe as quietly as possible.

The footsteps became louder and finally they made their way across the pantry and stopped somewhere.
Grasping onto the food in my hands I peeked between the jars, trying to catch a glimpse of the other nightwanderer.

To my surprise I saw the familiar silhouette of my father. What the hell was he doing down here in the middle of the night?
He seemed to be looking for something and in the moonlight I saw his face light up in delight when he found it. It seemed to be a small cake that he happily held to his face. I ducked back down as he turned around and carried the cake out the door, humming a happy tune. I listened to his humming slowly get quieter in the distance until I didn't hear anything anymore.

I wondered if that was a regular thing, maybe he might actually be the reason food goes missing from time to time in this castle.

I left the pantry after double checking I would not run into another surprise and hurried towards the dungeons. This part was going to be the most difficult because the chances of running into guards on my way increased significantly down here.

A weird smell reached my nose as I entered the dungeons and I saw the first prisoners that luckily were asleep. I hurried along the corridor as quiet as I could, carefully checking every cell for Orion. There were not a lot of prisoners and I passed several empty cells until I was met with the last cell of the corridor.

I got a little closer to the bars and squinted my eyes to see if there was anyone in there.
I was about to back off when I noticed someone sitting in the shadows, against the wall. Slowly I could make out the face and I felt a wave of relief wash through me, it was Orion.

His eyes were closed but he seemed to be awake. „Orion" I whispered and saw his head quickly turn into my direction.
„It's me, I came to bring you some food" I continued and watched him get up a little unsteadily and hurry towards me.
„My love, what are you doing here? They could have seen you" he whispered and looked at me in disbelief. He was holding his side with one hand and I noticed a bandage underneath, my father had actually kept his word.

„I needed to see you, I am so sorry for everything" I said and got a little closer to the bars. „None of this is your fault, I am paying the prize for my own actions" he said softly and reached his other hand towards me and brushed my cheek with his fingers.

„If you won't take my apology, at least take the food I brought" I responded and handed him a loaf of bread.
„Thank you, I was wondering when they would finally serve dinner in this prison" he joked and gladly took the bread and the other things I gave him afterwards. We sat down on either sides of the bars and I told him everything that had happened since we had last seen each other. He made a comment here and there but mainly focused on eating and listening.

„I can't believe your father sneaks around at night to steal cake. At least that explains the paunch he carried around with him" he chuckled but quickly stopped, putting a hand on his bandage. I must have looked worried because he continued saying: „Don't worry, I'm fine" But I could see on his face that he must be in pain.

„Orion?"
„Hm?"
„Do you think there's any way I could contact the crew and the could try rescuing you with my help?" I asked but he shook his head.
„That would only jeopardize them"

„But we have to think of something. My father said you will get a trial but you and me both know how those trials end for pirates. It bought us a little time but we have to think of something" I whispered and he sighed in agreement. „I know what awaits me, the guards had a lot of fun describing it to me"

„It will not come to this" I said determined „I will find a way to steal the keys and get you out of here"

„I know you will" he said and smiled „you're a pirate after all"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Helloooo,
I hope you enjoyed the chapter and if you did feel free to vote or comment, I always enjoy reading your comments❤️
Have a nice day!