Afterwards

Silence followed but no pain. I saw my father run towards me and felt him hug me.
„You're okay Amelia, it's over" he muttered but I wiggled out of his grasp to look at Orion.
My stomach twisted at the sight of him laying on the ground, holding his stomach, his face twisted in pain.
„That scumbag will get what he deserves, let's get you cleaned up" my father said, not noticing the tears forming in my eyes.
Two guards accompanied me inside, where I was greeted by my maids. „The poor thing is probably still shaken by what happened, let's make her a nice bath first"
„No, I don't want to, let me go" I said loudly but they wouldn't listen. „Sorry my princess, king's orders.

After the bath I wore a clean dress and finally got to talk to my father.
„Amelia, I am so glad you are back" he said and looked at me with furrowed eyebrows: „Look at your beautiful pale skin, so tanned by the sun, don't worry it will get back to normal soon. My daughter looks almost like a commoner this way"
Orion called it sunkissed... I missed him.

„Father, what happened to the pirate captain?"
„Don't worry he will not hurt you any longer. They've taken him to the dungeons. Either he bleeds out there or he will get an adequate trial soon"
My heart sank at the thought of Orion in pain down in the dungeons. „Father, he does not deserve to die, he never hurt me" I spoke up.
„Amelia, do you even listen to yourself? He kidnapped you and deserves his punishment"
My father looked at me angrily.

„I know but he really had a good reason to-" I began. „There is no good reason to kidnap a person" he shouted.
I was taken aback by his anger, I obviously had no way of convincing my father with this strategy.

„All the other pirates get a trial, I think you should assure that he gets one as well. Bleeding out would not be justice for his crimes" I said, trying to sound convincing. I knew a trial meant he would be sent to the gallows sooner or later but at least that could give me some time to figure something out.
„Please, father" I added and looked at him pleadingly.

He furrowed his eyebrows, thinking about what I said and nodded slowly.
„Alright he will get cared for for now but only because I would love to see him hang at the gallows later"
I let out a breath of relief. Good enough, at least for now.
Silently I hoped that the crew would come back for their captain but they had strict orders to follow the pirates code: „The ones who fall behind, get left behind"
Plus they would probably have no chance of getting him out of here anyways...

I was still wondering who shot him in the first place? The guards had order to stand down and I saw none of them move when Orion threatened me.
I spent some more time talking to my father before I excused myself to my chambers.

Faye helped me get ready for bed, I actually had missed her. She was one of the only people I could talk to openly and she always had some sweet words for me.
„You must be quite exhausted after being at sea for such a long time" she said softly and I nodded. „It's more the events of today that drained my energy".

„I can imagine. It must have been scary to get threatened by that dangerous pirate. Good thing The Duke's henchman was there to save the day, although it was quite risky to step up like this."
So it was, in fact, none of the guards who shot Orion, it was James' henchman. I did see him whisper something to him earlier.
As if there were not enough reasons to hate James already.

„Actually, Faye...the pirates were quite polite to me, especially the Captain" I explained in a low voice. „But I don't understand, my princess" she said „they threatened your life"
I must sound ridiculous to her...
„I know but I knew he would never shoot me" I answered, while she was brushing my hair.

„How do you know that?" she asked, carefully removing a tangle.
„Because..." He loves me „he just wouldn't have" I finished.

Soon after I went to bed but I couldn't sleep, thinking about Orion having to spend the night in the dungeons. Although his wound was probably bound by now, it probably hurt the same. I needed to find a way to visit him...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seconds update in a row :) Tell me what you think in the comments❤️