Enemies

I have never felt so free which is weird, considering the fact that I was kidnapped but standing up here made me feel like there was nothing I couldn't overcome. I turned my head into every direction, trying to memorize this moment forever.

Someday, I thought, I would be telling my children about this spectacular moment...if I make it out of here alive.

Suddenly I spotted something in the distance: Another ship.

I squinted my eyes, hoping that I was wrong but it was definitely a ship although I had no idea what kind of ship. I pondered back and forth whether I should tell Orion. I mean it was not unusual for other ships to be at sea too but something about this ship felt unsettling.

I tried to climb down as quickly as possible, almost slipping. „There is another ship" I said out of breath and the crew looked alarmed. „In which direction?" Orion asked calmly as he took his binoculars out.

Shit, think Amelia. How do you call left in boat language? I stuttered „uuuh left...larboard."

He peeked through his binoculars, looking very focused. „Shit" he cursed and took one last look. „That's Long John Slag's ship"

Everybody gasped and started running around, looking for their weapons. Who was this Long John Slag and why was everybody suddenly so concerned? I had never heard of him before but judging their reactions he must be a not so pleasant companion.

„Who's this man?" I asked slightly scared of the answer.

„A very cruel man that we didn't have very...good experiences with" Orion explained and pushed me towards my cabin. „Amelia go hide in there where they can not see you"

„But I would be trapped in there if anybody finds me" I argued, now completly panicking. He handed me a small dagger. „I won't let that happen but I can't let you roam around deck freely when they arrive so stay here" he demanded and shut the door behind him.

The dagger in my hand was heavy and looked really sharp, it could surely hurt somebody a lot.

I have never fought in my life before and have no idea how to properly handle a weapon. Why did they have to fight him? Couldn't they just sail into a different direction and avoid him?

Suddenly it was dead silent outside, I took a look out the window to see that they were all eagerly waiting for Long John Slag's arrival. I held my breath, trying not to make a sound and clinging on to the dagger tightly.

After some time the other ship arrived. It was slightly smaller than the Black Serpent but the crew looked a lot more terrifying and ruthless.

They were shouting and holding their sharp looking sabers in the air, looking ready to fight. I quickly stepped away from the window, so nobody could see me. All I heard was the clang of swords and shouting as they made their way onto out ship.

„Captain Orion Pierce, nice to make your acquaintance again" somebody said in a deep growl. I was guessing that it was Long John Slag himself.

„Do I have to burn your whole ship down again before you give me what I want?" he asked daringly and I gasped. That seemed to be the „not so good experience"

„What do you want now ye bilge rat?" I heard Orion ask, he sounded furious. „We don't have any gold at the moment, sorry to disappoint you"
I could hear the sarcasm in his voice.

„I heard you have a royal guest aboard. I want the girl" Long John Slag stated, grinning evilly.

No, please no. My heart beat so fast and I felt like I was going to collapse any moment. Something told me that they wouldn't be as gentle as Orion and his crew.