Blinding Lights

21st May 2021.

8:30 pm

After they landed at Haneda Airport, Akira went to collect her new landing permit and that she'd stay there for 7 months. A residence card was then issued to her and she made sure she kept it safely in her backpack. As soon as they collected their luggage, they collected their luggage bags, there was a chauffeur waiting at the entrance of the airport terminal, holding the placard out with Kuroo's name.

Kuroo had 2 cars, a red Lamborghini Aventador with scissor doors for his personal use and a Black Rolls Royce Phantom when he needed to be chauffeured around, especially in times like this.

So, no sooner had he texted his chauffeur of four years, Yusuf Hussain to let him know that he had arrived than the chauffeur immediately got the car ready, gas-filled, serviced, everything. He was the definition of loyal in every sense, having been there for Kuroo especially when he especially broke up with his ex and needed to run away. "Thank you, Hussain-san. It's good to see you after a long time," Kuroo smiled. "By the way, she'll also come along with us," Kuroo said, pointing at Akira.

"Nice to meet you, Hussain-san. I'm Akira Yōki." Akira bowed and introduced herself. "Nice to meet you, Yōki-san. But you can call me Yusuf-san. I've told Kuroo-san so many times but he wouldn't listen." The chauffeur replied while picking up their luggage bags and packing them in the car, giving her a puzzled look at her foreign accent when she spoke Japanese. "Pardon me, if I may ask, Yōki-san. Where are you from?"

"Oh well, Yusuf-san, I'm from India. I'll be staying in Tokyo for some time."

Yusuf was taken aback. " Wow! I could sense an Indian accent with the way you were speaking in Japanese. Also, are you serious? I'm from India too."

"What?" Akira was equally stunned. She didn't think it was possible that she'd find a fellow Indian. She then started to speak in English,"This is such a coincidence! How are you?"

"I'm doing great, thank you, madam ji. How are you?" Yusuf grinned.

"Yusuf Sahab, I'm doing great too. Where are you from? I'm from Calcutta."

"No way! So am I!" The usually silent black car was filled with giggles galore, and conversations in Hindi, making Kuroo puzzled and stunned at Akira's innate ability to talk to anyone and everyone, including the chauffeur who was usually a man of few words.

Kuroo had known Yusuf Hussain since the time he completed college and joined the JVA. The chauffeur had become a naturalized Japanese citizen through his marriage of 15 years. But because the troubling economy was hitting them in the worst way possible, he needed to find a job to stay afloat.

That's when he'd come across a job posting in the classified section, stating that a chauffeur was required and that he'd be paid handsomely. Tearing up, he immediately called the number, and the rest was history.

Yusuf was usually a man of few words. Not because he didn't like Kuroo. On the contrary, he felt that Kuroo was the best boss he could ever imagine. Kuroo always looked after him in every way possible.

But, because he'd always grown up with a preconceived notion that when you're near the poverty line, you should not converse with those of a higher status.

He was a great listener though, having learned of Kuroo's family history, having met his best friend Kenma and saved Kuroo through desperate times, but not speaking more than was necessary.

So, when Kuroo finally noticed Yusuf coming out of his shell, he looked at Akira and smiled from ear to ear, thanking the universe for another chance at hopefully falling in love and living life yet again.

"So, for how long are you here in Tokyo?" Yusuf asked in English, noticing that Kuroo was feeling left out when they were speaking in Hindi.

"Well, I'll be staying in Kuroo's apartment for the night. I need to be dropped back at my new apartment tomorrow, before which I need to look into the certain formalities that have to be done. My plan is to stay in Tokyo for six months. I'll be studying and researching at Tokyo University for 2 semesters and will go back to America afterward to finish my Master's program," Akira replied, proud of her plan that she'd seemingly laid out for her.

Kuroo seemed a little disappointed that she may not stay for long, but from then on, he decided to make her a promise, without her knowing. That he'd be there for her no matter what. He'd be there to support her goals, and help her achieve in any way possible, especially because a precious girl like her deserved the best.

"I've been tryin' to callI've been on my own for long enoughMaybe you can show me how to love, maybe..."

Suddenly, one of Akira's songs started to play on the radio of the car, and she got so excited that she started singing along as well, closing her eyes at times, and at times taking pictures of the ever-shining Tokyo in the night. She was in awe of how the song gelled with the surroundings. She didn't know that Kuroo was busy recording her voice, yet again, because she was his nightingale.

Once the song was over, Akira opened her eyes to see that both Yusuf and Kuroo had their mouths wide open. She asked, nervously, "What's wrong? Was I okay?"

"Okay? You sounded so beautiful," Kuroo replied.

"What Kuroo-san is trying to tell you," Yusuf interrupted the conversation, "Is that you are beautiful and that the voice makes you more beautiful too," and chuckled, his eyes back on the wheel. A blush appeared on Kuroo's cheeks.

Sometimes, Yusuf was like Kenma. Knowing Kuroo too well. The silence that followed their conversation emitted a sense of comfort and warmth in the car. It'd not been like this for ages. Kuroo had put his hand on Akira's, looking at her and smiling. If there was something that Akira and Kuroo both felt during that time, was peace.

When they reached the apartment with the luggage bags, both of them thanked the chauffeur before they left. She was going to tip him before he left but later remembered that it was considered disrespectful to tip in Japan, so she let it be.

Kuroo's apartment was like how you'd expect a rich man's apartment to be. Two bedrooms, three bathrooms (two of which are Japanese style, and the other, Western), one gaming room (specifically for Kenma and him), a beautiful balcony with a wonderful view of the skyline, a fireplace to keep them warm in cold winters, and a big living space appropriate for having parties at his place. In his bedroom, there was an additional recliner couch for people to sleep on. He was content in the apartment that he was living in.

But Akira? She started to tear up a little bit, as soon as she entered. She felt strangely comfortable in his house. She rushed to Kuroo's bed and hugged the pillows, craving for the warmth that she wanted to provide for herself and her family.

This is the dream apartment that she wanted to provide for them. She could've stayed back in India and worked, but she knew that she'd get better opportunities when she'd work out of the country. She promised to provide a stable home for them, that would never be taken away from them by any means...

"Hey. You okay?" Kuroo asked, sitting beside Akira and patting her head as she cried. She immediately hugged him, thanking him for allowing her to stay in this lavish apartment and telling him that he didn't realize how blessed he was. "It's okay, kitten. Rest for now. We'll talk tomorrow. Good night." She immediately fell asleep in his arms, and he put her on his bed to sleep.

Kuroo somewhat understood what she was feeling, but they'd just met. He wanted to give her space to relax. To rest and recuperate from the long journey. And to settle well in Japan for however long she'd be here. So he secretly left the bed and slept on the couch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Number of words: 1394
A/N: I hope I'm not dragging the story for too long. It will pick up pace for sure. I'm trying to stick as per the Haikyuu timeline, but I may deviate from it, so, I hope I do justice to this. Thanks y'all! ❤️