three

That night, all Evelyn could think of was Edward Cullen.

Why did he try to save her? She did not need saving. She was a gifted witch, after all.

 If anyone needed saving it was Edward. He was revealing himself to be unhuman. Showing his strength and speed in front of her. If Evelyn ever exposed her magical side to a muggle, the Ministry of Magic would have her head. Edward was not protecting his secret very well and she thought they both knew it. 

She wondered if he had seen her wand or her spell. But wouldn't he have said something by now?

♥︎

The next day was the school field trip. Evelyn had a lot to think about, yet her mind lay so dormant. So dormant, that she didn't even realize that Mike Newton was speaking to her and had been for about five minutes.

"Sorry, what did you say?" Evelyn apologized, getting her mind back on reality, or what sort of twisted reality was hers.

"It's all good, but do you want to go to prom with me?" Mike asked, looking as nervous as ever.

"Prom?" Evelyn asked, more to herself than to Mike, "I have something that weekend. I'm sorry, but I think Jessica wants to go with you. You should ask her for sure, Mike." Evelyn spoke, encouraging him to ask Jessica. To be honest, Evelyn did not like Mike. He was a bit too handsy, seemed a bit needy, and was a bit insecure. Evelyn did think he was a good fit for Jessica, they were kind of meant for each other.

When Mike moved away, Evelyn could see Edward standing next to the bus. Doing what he always seemed to be doing; watching Evelyn.

"We gotta go! Green is what? Good! Let's go." The teacher announced, urging the kids to board the buses. Evelyn followed suit and found a seat on the bus, looking out her window.

♥︎

Everyone was touring the greenhouse. The teacher had been lecturing about compost but Evelyn had thought about how wizards handle plants much more efficiently than muggles. They seemed to add so many steps to something so simple, she wondered if muggles made everything that way.

Evelyn was interrupted from her thoughts by Edward. Edward seemed uninterested in the subject, almost as much as Evelyn.

"Why aren't you going to prom?" Edward asks, stepping next to Evelyn. Evelyn didn't even flinch, making Edward rather curious.

"What?" Evelyn asked, and Edward repeated himself. Edward didn't realize she really just asking herself that question.

"I'm not going because I went to another dance at my previous school." Evelyn explained, following the kids in front of her. She didn't want to fall behind and get lost. That would not be good, not with Edward following her.

"Is one dance too much for you?" He asked and laughed, making Evelyn laugh with him. It was partially true, but for reasons she'd rather not tell Edward. Evelyn went to the Yule Ball with Cedric and had an amazing time, she wouldn't want to go with anyone else because nobody would ever be Cedric.

"No. I had a really amazing time at the last one and I'd rather not ruin it by attending another one." Evelyn stated with such certainty that Edward decided to leave the subject alone. That, for once, was shocking for Edward.

They walked in silence, waiting for the tour to end. When it finally did end, Edward led Evelyn outside and near the buses.

"Evelyn, we shouldn't be friends." Edward spoke, looking around to see if anyone was listening. Evelyn scoffed, knowing what was coming next.

"You really should have figured that out a little earlier," Evelyn rolled her eyes, "I mean, why didn't you just let the van crush me and save yourself all this regret?" Evelyn crossed her arms and stood angrily. How come he gets to be standoffish but she can't?

"You think I regret saving you?" Edward asked, looking Evelyn in the eyes. But, it didn't seem to faze her like he had hoped.

"I can see that you do. I just don't know why. I could have handled that bloody van myself!" Evelyn grew louder with her anger, but quickly lowered her voice at the staring eyes of her classmates.

"No, you couldn't have. You don't know anything." Edward laughed, not yet understanding what she had meant. 

"I know more than you think I do, Edward Cullen. Far more than you could imagine."

♥︎

"How was school today, Eve? I heard there was a field trip?" Nolan asked his daughter, watching her closely.

"It was fine. The trip was a bit boring, these muggles have a tendency to make things far more difficult than necessary." Evelyn laughed, easing the tension she had been holding in.

"That, I have noticed too." Her father replied, as he sat down the newspaper. He was reading the daily prophet. Evelyn was interested, she hadn't received many owls from anyone back home.

"What happening back home?" Evelyn asks, putting her hand under her chin.

"The Ministry thinks Harry Potter and Dumbledore are lying about Lord Voldemort being back." Her father spoke, his face becoming cold. Evelyn and her father believed that Harry and Dumbledore were telling the truth, and they hated whenever anyone said anything bad about either of the two. They had done more for them than anyone else had.

"What? Cedric is dead because of him!" Evelyn was enraged at the daily prophet, the Ministry, and even more so Rita Skeeter. Those people truly have nothing better to do than to point fingers at people who aren't liars.

"I know, darling. They don't want to believe it's happening again..." Her father sighed, his face looking desperate.

Evelyn looked out the window, watching as the clouds began to become a dark grey, telling her a thunderstorm was on its way. Evelyn knew that, in more ways than one.