twenty-two

The snow had stuck to the ground, as the night turned into day. It was time, time to fight for Adelaye.

The Cullens, the order, the wolves, and the witnesses gathered in the large snowy clearing, waiting for the italian vampires to arrive. As their black and red robes came into view, Evelyn held onto Adelaye for dear life.

Evelyn looked to her right, locking eyes with Remus and Tonks, making them confirm their plan. If things turned bad, they would disapparate to Lupin cottage, that had been doused in several protection charms, where they would keep her safe for as long as it was deemed necessary.

"Aro, let's discuss things as we used to. In a civilized manner." Carlisle beckoned to the leader, walking a bit ahead of the group. Nobody moved, as they watched the confrontation begin.

"Fair words, Carlisle. But a little out of place given the battalion you've assembled against us." Aro argued, looking around at his enemies.

"I can promise you, that was never my intent. No laws have been broken." Carlisle reassured, trying to maintain a pleasant stance and smile.

"We see the child. Do not treat us as fools." One of the guard shouted, arguing with Carlisle angrily. Evelyn's grip on Adelaye tightened, fearing the worst.

"She is not an immortal! These witnesses can attest to that or you can look. See the flush of human blood in her cheeks." Carlisle spoke, pointing at the young girl who stood beside her anxious mother and father.

"Artifice!"

"I will collect every facet of the truth. But from someone more central to the story, Cedric. As the child clings to your newborn mate, I assume you are involved." Aro speaks, calling Cedric over. Cedric kisses Adelaye on the cheek and does so with Evelyn, as he gives her a warning look. Evelyn knew what she must get ready to do.

As Cedric put his hand in Aro's and let him read his mind, it became clear that Aro was intrigued. Aro looked at Adelaye and beckoned them forward. But, Remus and Tonks came as well as Evelyn. They'd do everything they could to protect her.

"Ah, young Evelyn. Immortality becomes you," Aro spoke, as he looked at Adelaye, "I hear her strange heart." Aro cheers, scaring almost everyone around him.

"Hello, Aro," Adelaye walks forward, placing her hand on Aro's cheek, showing him everything he needed to know.

"Magnifico." Aro spoke, seeing what Adelaye showed him. His eyes glazed over with shock, as he looked at the family in front of him. It was true.

"Half mortal, half immortal. Conceived and carried by this newborn while she was still human." Aro spoke to his guard, telling them what he had seen. The guard did not believe this, and looked at the group with angry eyes.

"Do you think they fooled me, brother?" Aro turned angrily to one of his guard, and the man calmed down out of fear. Evelyn and Cedric led Adelaye back to the group and away from the Volturi.

"Bring the informer forward." The guard spoke, as they pulled Irina forward. The Denali sisters were shaking, watching their sister being held violently. As they asked her questions, she accepted her fate. She was wrong.

The guard tore the woman to pieces and lit her body aflame. The Denali sisters were enraged and began to scream, running at the guard. Everyone grabbed them, pulling them back, knowing that would start a whole war.

"This is what they want. If you attack now, we'll all die." Cedric spoke to the women, making them regain their composure.

"Aro, you see there's no law broken here." Carlisle spoke, breaking the silence. Aro smiled.

"Agreed. But does it then follow that there is no danger?" Aro questioned, "For the first time in our history, human pose a threat to our kind. Their modern technology has given birth to weapons that could destroy us. Maintaining our secret has never been more imperative. In such perilous times, only the known is safe. Only the known is tolerable and we know nothing of what this child will become. Can we live with such uncertainty? Spare ourselves a fight today, only to die tomorrow." Aro spoked, as he riled up his guard. Evelyn rolled her eyes, knowing he was fear mongering.

Cedric noticed something in the distance and spoke quietly, "Alice."

"My dear, dear Alice, we're so glad to see you here, after all." Aro spoke, watching as Alice and Jasper came forward.

"I have evidence the child won't be a risk to our kind. Let me show you." Alice beckoned, as the guard held them back. Alice put her hand out, as Aro came forward, touching his weary hand to hers.

Evelyn wasn't sure what Aro had seen, but the shock on his face told her everything she needed to know. There would be no fight today.

"Now you know. That's your future, unless you decide on another course." Alice spoke harshly, scaring Evelyn. She had never heard her talk like that, ever.

"We cannot alter our course. The child still poses a grave threat." One of the guards spoke, but Aro only ignored him.

"But what if you were sure she could remained concealed from the human world? Could we leave in peace?" Cedric asked, begging Aro to reconsider his next moves. Evelyn's hand gripped his as she clung to Adelaye.

"Of course, but that cannot be known." Aro spoke, loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Actually, it can." Cedric spoke, as two people walked towards Aro from the forest.

"I've been searching for witnesses of my own among the Ticuna tribes of Brazil." Alice spoke, introducing the two in front of the guard. Aro raised his eyebrow, but insisted everyone listen.

"I am half human, half vampire. Like the child. A vampire seduced my mother, who died giving birth to me. My aunt Huilen raised me as her own," The man spoke, pointing to his aunt, "I made her immortal."

Evelyn had many questions but mainly interjected to ask, "How old are you?"

"One hundred and fifty years." The man spoke, and Evelyn smiled. She's have her baby for a long time. Cedric tugged her closer to him, smiling with her.

"At what age did you reach maturity?" Aro asked, walking closer to the man. The man didn't move but quickly replied.

"I became full grown seven years after my birth. I have not changed since then." The man spoke, looking back at Adelaye. He saw a lot of himself in her.

"And your diet?" Aro questioned, wanting to know more details. Evelyn and Cedric listened closely, as they too needed to know more.

"Blood, human food," He answered, looking around at the snow, "I can survive on either." The man spoke, smiling at his aunt.

"These children are much like us." The guard spoke, looking at Aro. 

"Regardless, the Cullens have been consorting with werewolves, witches and wizards, our natural enemies." One of the guard spoke harshly, but Aro stopped him. He did not want to fight today, for he knew they would lose.

"Dear ones, there is no danger here. We will not fight today." Aro addressed the guard, and they began to run away. Aro turned to look at the Cullens one last time, and then joined the guard.

"We have them on the run, now is the time to attack!" The old vampires spoke, friend of Carlisle. Carlisle shook his head, letting them know that today was not the day.

"Thank God that's over." Evelyn laughed, pulling Cedric, Adelaye and the rest of the Order into a long hug.

"Are we all going to be together now, momma?" Adelaye asked, looking up at her mom.

"Yes, Adelaye," Evelyn spoke with a smile, "for a very long time."