twenty-three

Evelyn had gotten word that Harry, Ron, and Hermione had infiltrated the Ministry to obtain something unknown. She had also found out via the daily prophet that the trio had broken into Gringotts, the wizard bank, to steal something from a specific vault. 

Though the details were missing, Evelyn knew that Harry probably had a reason for the things he was doing. She knew that they probably had something to do with his order from Dumbledore.

However, Evelyn had received a very coded letter from Harry earlier that day that had read;

Dear Eve,

Sorry for not writing for a while, we've been quite busy on this task at hand. H and R have been helping me complete it, but it has not been easy. It is time for us to return to our home, please alert the OOP that lightening will strike tonight. I hope you are doing well, I haven't heard from you in a while.

Wishing you the best,

HJP

With that, Evelyn had known what he meant. Harry would be returning to Hogwarts to complete his task from Dumbledore. Evelyn alerted the Order, telling them everything that they would need to know.

Evelyn looked at Cedric, letting him know that the time was near.

♥︎

"It's happening," Evelyn explained to the Cullens, "we have to help them. They helped us when we needed them. It's our turn to return the favor."

"And we will." Carlisle stood, looking at his family for support. Evelyn smiled, watching as they all stood to join the fight.

"Here's the thing, though. This is much more dangerous than the Volturi. My magic was able to harm vampires easily. You do not have magical capabilities to protect yourself. You guys will have to be mostly stealthy, your speed will be your best defense. I suggest you use that to your advantage." Evelyn explained, as everyone in the room nodded.

"Of course," Jasper spoke, looking to Adelaye, "But what about Adelaye?" Evelyn glanced at Adelaye and then to Rosalie and Esme.

"Rosalie, Esme," Evelyn spoke their names, "I need you to stay here and protect Adelaye. Do not let her get hurt. She is everything." Evelyn hugged her daughter, squeezing her with all of her might. Evelyn looked at her, memorizing her face as much as possible, as if it would be the last time she would see her.

"Got it."

♥︎

The heat from the flames warmed Evelyn physically. But watching Hogwarts as it burned to the ground made her heart grow cold. Shivering as she listened to the screams of young children, as they were running from death like a game. This was not what she expected to see, though she wasn't sure what she had expected.

Walking with the Order made her feel strong, almost invincible, but she knew this was it. The final push. The last chance they'd have at ending this war between the good and the bad. But, light and darkness was not always black and white.

With darkness comes death, and with death comes peace. But the price to pay for death was a stake far too high for Evelyn.

"It's time." Cedric spoke, standing beside Evelyn. Cedric stood by Evelyn, hand in hand. She gave him one last kiss before heading off to her point of defense.

It was all or nothing.

"EXPELLIARMUS!"

"PROTEGO!"

"BOMBARDA!"

"AVADA KEDAVRA!"

The spells rang out all around Evelyn. The screams nearly deafened her, her hearing ability much more heightened than the people around her. She had heard smashes, clashes, and dashes for safety as she fought as many death eaters as she possibly could. 

Her vampiric strength had an effect on her ability to fight. She had saved Remus and Tonks, just before they had been hit with the killing curse, by using her vampiric strength to smash their heads into the ground. 

She had tackled and injured many death eaters in a short period of time, slightly scaring some of the students. The death eaters seemed to keep coming, despite everyone putting in a great deal of effort to hurt them.

That was the key difference; the death eaters fought to kill, Hogwarts fought for freedom.

The fight continued through the night, but eased up as Voldemort drew his forces back. No one really knew why, but Evelyn did. Harry had finally decided to give himself over to Voldemort. She had understood his rationale, he just didn't want anyone else to die.

"Harry! Don't go..." Evelyn tried to stop him, but he didn't turn around. Cedric stood at Evelyn's side, watching his friend face the darkness.

"It's good to see you, Diggory. Evelyn, I have to do this. I'm sorry..." Harry spoke, continuing his journey into the Forbidden Forest. Cedric pulled Evelyn into a hug as she grieved for her friend.

As everyone retreated inside, as they began to compile the dead in the Great Hall. Showing the true disparity of the Battle of Hogwarts.

Harry was their last hope. He knew what he needed to do to end all of this. But at what price?

♥︎

As the sun rose out from the clouds, the darkness that was the death eaters, came walking towards Hogwarts. Everyone that was inside, other than the dead and the injured, came out.

As Voldemort and his army came closer, Evelyn watched as Hagrid was carrying something in his arms. It was Harry Potter.

"Harry Potter is dead!" Voldemort cheered, his entire army laughing. Evelyn sneered, wanting to pull her wand out and kill him herself. Cedric restrained her, realizing her actions would have deadly repercussions.

"Now is the time to declare yourself. Come forward and join us." Voldemort beckons, his arms open; physically and metaphorically, "Or die."

Neville steps forward, limping in the process, "I'd like to say somethin'. It doesn't matter that Harry's gone. People die every day; friends, family. Yeah, we lost Harry tonight. He's still with us, here, just like everyone else we lost tonight. They didn't die in vain, but you will! Harry's heart did beat for us, for all of us. It's not over!" Neville speaks, reaching into the sorting hat and pulling out the sword of Gryffindor. As soon as he does, Harry slips out of Hagrid's arms and attacks Voldemort.

With that, the fight begins again. Only this time, the death eaters flee; knowing that Voldemort had failed for the second time to kill Harry Potter. Evelyn smirked, watching as the death eaters flew away. They'll get their karma eventually.

As the fighting from the inside continued, several professors redoing the boundary spell, attempting to protect as many students as possible.

Evelyn attacked as many death eaters as she could, as did the rest of the Cullen's. Many students were too exhausted to fight, as they hadn't slept much the night before. The Cullen's plus Evelyn and Cedric, did not have that problem, so they continued to fight.

As the time passed, Evelyn glanced out the window, seeing Harry and Voldemort on the ground. As Harry gathered his wits and his wand, he struck Voldemort with a bright red light.

Evelyn and Cedric watched from the inside of the castle, Harry's red light clash with Voldemort's eery green one. As Voldemort fell to the ground, it was over. The war, the fight, and the cause. They were finally free of evil; the same darkness that had destroyed so many bright lives had just as easily been disintegrated.

The Battle of Hogwarts was over.