Ch:9 Morning Revelations

Chapter 9

The Morning Revelation

"Wolfsbane!" Oreius' echoing voice boomed in my head and I covered my ears with my pillow to block it. The pillow was snatched out of my hand and I was shaken awake.

When I opened my eyes, I felt that I was back in Golden Age when I used to train under Oreius, Kanell and Celer. Our swords master used to use our Chivalric titles of How and Wolfsbane for Edmund and me respectively whenever we trained or whenever they had to give some command to us. The use of chivalric titles showed that we were at that moment soldiers and we had to carry out the orders of our captains and General. This title was seldom used outside training grounds and we knew better than to disobey the order that came along with it knowing that if it was used, it was used with a good reason.

Today, however, I could not help but groan. So much for peace and relaxation.

"Yes, Sir." I said sitting up and blinking stupidly.

"I want you in the training yard in fifteen minutes in full armor." With that my master and, for the moment, living nightmare was gone.

I took a deep breath and realized that with the exhaled air, my sleepiness had gone too. I got up and after taking a quick shower, went down to the armory.

My brother Edmund was waiting there for me. When I entered, he had a strange look on his face. I thought I saw a bit of nervousness but it was wiped off his face the moment he saw me. I was not relieved though. He had a blank look on his face, which was a clear indicator of his distress, but as he helped me put on my armor I remained quiet, knowing that he would speak in his own time.

He, however, did not speak anything at all even while I helped him into his armor. We made our way to the training yards.

After a few minutes of warm up, our training began in full earnest. As I was sparring with Oreius, I asked him a question. "Sir, why are we training? It's not like we will have an enemy to defeat in Aslan's country."

I quickly ducked his incoming blow and swung my sword towards his exposed abdomen. Quick as lightening my strike was deflected and I had to twist out of the way to avoid being hit in the head with his shield.

"It is partly because Aslan commanded to and partly because I saw you spar with King Gale yesterday." With this, he brought his sword down on my skull. I just managed to bring my shield and cover my head.

I sighed. That failed technique was making me pay a lot. Training under Oreius as well as seeing him fight in battles had made me very familiar with his fighting style and so I tried to use the fact to my advantage but it was useless since Oreius was way well-versed with my fighting style that I his.

I then tried to use another of his lesson. From my peripheral vision, I could see Edmund hard pressed under Kanell's blows from double sword. Through some unknown brotherly instinct, I knew he was planning the same thing.

I abruptly fell down to the ground, as did Edmund, and we both rolled towards each other. Oreius and Kanell, both centaurs and tall, Kanell even more so, could not reach down to us fast enough and when my brother and I stood back up we were in a stance that was a source of hope and admiration for our soldiers and a sign of doom for the enemy. We were now fighting back-to-back and side-to-side. Fusing our techniques and talents, we were two bodies governed by a single brain -instinct. Each move I started with a sword and shield was completed by Edmund's double sword and vice-versa. My technicalities were complimented with his sneakiness.

Edmund nodded at me with a confident look and we both turned to face our opponents. I could not see Kanell's face but Oreius and Celer, who was standing a little way off, both had a wary but proud look on their face. With a cry both the centaurs attacked us but we met them just as ferociously. Just when I thought it was about to be over, Celer joined the two centaurs. Now we had three opponents but we were not scared.