Ch 18: Parcel

Peter’s P.O.V.

Sin and temptations personified, huh?

In all honesty, my cheeks were hurting. The grin had not left my face whole night. Now, as I sat on the windowsill of my room, looking out the Narnian landscape, I wondered why.

Why was I grinning and suddenly feeling all warm and fuzzy at something a woman said to me? Haven’t I received many more compliments from the female population of Narnia, Terabinthia, Telmar, Calormene and where not? Shouldn’t I be worried sick about the up and coming battle? I should be fretting over the well-being of my brother!

Here I was though, sighing like a furnace over a girl. The High King in me was commanding me to get up and encourage my soldiers. Sir Peter Wolfsbane was filled with adrenaline rush, ready to join the fellow soldiers and disembowel everyone who had dared to hurt my brother. Peter Pevensie was yelling at the top of his lungs for me to get my baby Eddie back.

I knew that they were right. This distraction was dangerous. Shaking my head, I stood up just as there was a knock on my door.

“Come in” I called, walking towards the bed to pick up Rhindon. It was no doubt Silvo who was sure to get an anxiety attack when he saw me. I was still bare-chested when I was supposed to be ready by now. The white shirt was easy to put on but I needed a little help tying the ties on the back of my tunic. “Give me a hand, please. I can’t get the ties done.”

These ties were bothersome. As Silvo did those up, I wondered how the girls never complained about the billion laces that they had to do while putting on their dresses.

“All done.” I froze at the voice. It was not Silvo’s! It was a woman’s voice. When I whirled around, I came face to face with...none other than Sarah!

“You?” I gasped, confused. Sarah never came to my room. If she was here, it was sure to be an emergency. “What happened? Is everything all right?”

Her cheeks reddened at my enquiry and she looked down when she said, “No, nothing happened. Everything is going as it’s supposed to. I just...”

I raised my eyebrow, prompting her to continue. She took a deep breath and mumbled, “I just wanted to see you and Lucy, I mean Queen Lucy forced me here.”

Lucy? What is that girl up to now...?

Match-making, duh?” A voice painfully similar to Edmund’s sarcastic one whispered in my head. It seems I needed to have a word with my little sister.

On my expectant look, Sarah muttered something under her breath that sounded like, “I’ll kill that girl, Queen or not.”

“I don’t take well to people threatening my family.” I said playfully. Killing was a lame threat now. We had all dealt with death.

Sarah was completely flustered. This reaction from any other woman would have made me sigh in exasperation. Not with her though. Inside, I was glowing with glee that I could make her stumble for words.

“I...um, just...wanted to ask you something...” From her expression, I could see she doubted her sanity when she decided to come here. All of a sudden, she straightened and began with a firm resolve. Taking out a small box from a satchel she was carrying, she held it out for me to take along with a small red pouch.

The box was intricately carved but was surprisingly light. The pouch held something heavy, circular and very smooth. Her tone was very formal. “I would be very grateful, Your Majesty, if you could carry these with you to Samtal. The box will find its owner on its own. It just needs to be carried to the Great Plains. The ball inside the pouch is for you. It will assist you and your warriors overcome the challenges you encounter.”