CH:2 Arrival (Part 2) : Susan and Sarah

Chapter 2

 Arrival: Part 2 - Susan and Sarah

 The next day I woke up before anyone else. Looking at the pocket watch, I saw that it was hardly six in the morning. It had almost become a habit of mine so I looked over to Edmund's bed to make sure he was alright. He was sprawled across the bed, his head hung a little off the edge of the bed and he was snoring quietly. Shaking my head, I smiled to myself. I knew he was never going to accept that he snored, no matter how many people gave their testament in support of this fact.

 Knowing that I was up and awake fully and would not be able to go back to sleep, I went off to the bathroom where I took a quick shower and came out in a far more presentable state. I looked at Ed and decided I did not want to risk my life by waking him up yet. Edmund was farthest from a morning person.

 During our camping in Narnia, his morning moods were a great amusement to everyone present and the soldiers found his snaps and growls in the morning quite hilarious. Of course no one dared to laugh at him in face. Oreius had once said that the person who would take up the job of waking Ed everyday should be knighted for his valor but even this offer was not taken up by anyone and I was left with the job.

 Smiling at my memories, I went downstairs, going on outside to collect the posts and today's newspaper. Back inside, unrolling the newspaper, I was about to start reading it when the telephone rang.

 When I picked it, at first, I was surprised to hear Professor Kirke on the other end but when I heard what he said, I was a bit upset.

 Though he talked in a calm voice, I could hear a nervous, or rather, worried edge to his voice. "Oh Peter. I am so sorry to call and disturb you so early in the morning. I just have to tell you that Polly and I won't be able to visit you all yet. Polly fell and broke her ankle. The doctors have told her not to get off her bed until they tell otherwise. She called, late last night, and told me this. We have decided to postpone our visit until she can walk again. I think we both will come the next month only."

 I was rather sad to hear this because I had been looking forward to their visit. Nevertheless, I passed Miss Plummer my good wishes. Professor and I talked about some things. He asked how Ed and I were doing in our colleges and was pleased to hear of our progress. He told me how exactly had Miss Plummer hurt her ankle and I once again asked him to pass my well-wishes. Soon after that we hung up.

 Once again I went and sat on the living room sofa, unrolling the newspaper but before I could read more than the headline, Lucy and Jill came giggling in the room. They were very much excited about something which they didn't want to tell me. After I told them about Miss Polly's accident and assured them that she was fine, I went to my own room to wake up Edmund.

 After entering, I contemplated on how to wake him without being subjected to his early morning wrath. A few minutes later, I had decided what to do. Picking up my pillow, I whipped it across his face which was rewarded by angry grumbling. He turned around and went back to sleep. I hadn't really expected him to wake up at this and the grumble came as an unexpected surprise too.

 Tip-toeing up to his bed, I poked him in the side at which my hand was slapped away. I poked him again and said, "Wake up Eddie! We have to do a lot of work today."

 He abruptly sat up and, glaring at me, growled something incomprehensible. Or at least glaring was his intention. He could hardly open his eyes and glaring did not have the desired effect when doing so with eyes open only halfway. I suppressed my chuckle and, dragging him off the bed, pushed him into the bathroom.

 As soon as he was inside, I sat down on my bed and started chuckling. I was interrupted when Jill poked her head in the room and told me that breakfast was ready.