Ch:4 The Gifts

Ch 4

The Gifts

Rubbing my eyes did not help at all so, I blindly stumbled off my bed and into the bathroom where the cold water helped in clearing my aching head. Taking a shower and brushing my teeth took quite longer than usual because of the dizziness and throbbing of my head. Once I came out, I looked at the watch and saw that it was nearing twelve in the noon. Strange, because no one except me was up when even Edmund did not sleep this late.

Somehow, I managed to reach the living room before things started to spin so much that I had to stop and sit down, hanging my head between my knees. I could not even see where I was sitting, everything was so blurred. Unlike as I had expected my dizziness did not lessen at all. On the contrary, things were getting blurrier and blurrier with each passing second.  Eventually I got so dizzy that all I could see was white.

That white seemed like a light which started diminishing slowly. At first the light was so blinding that I couldn’t even open my eyes but when it had lessened enough I opened my eyes and was surprised when I did not open my eyes to my living room but found myself sitting on a rock on a beach. I was amazed. Was I back in Narnia? No, that was not possible. Aslan said I could never come back here. Oh, how I wished I was back in the land I called ‘home’.

I felt his presence rather than saw it. I was just getting up off that stone when I felt a sudden warmth and calmness take over me. All the worries and problems left me completely. I turned around and saw the only person who can have such effect. The mighty lion, Aslan, walked towards me while I stood with a strange happiness threatening to overwhelm me at any moment. When he was but a few paces away from me I got down on one knee and bowed deeply before him.

“Rise, High King Peter, the Magnificent, the High King over all the Kings of Narnia.” His deep voice was like music to my ears and I hadn’t realized how much I had craved to hear it until my desire had been fulfilled at this wonderful moments. ‘Aslan.’ I said, unable to say anymore, I had my arm around his great neck and he let me clung to him and cry myself out. I don’t know why I cried, I just did. And then I asked him a question I dared not repeat in front of Edmund lest he teased me to the end of my life. I asked him, “Aslan, why am I crying?”

Aslan, though, did not laugh and answered my question as a father would answer his very young child, “It is because you are distressed child.”

“Why?” I asked again, but it was impossible to feel stupid when I was in the loving embrace of this mighty lion.

“You are concerned for your brother’s welfare and rightly so. But Peter, you should not always judge a thing by its superficial looks.”

I did not have much idea as to what it meant but I asked Aslan a question, “Aslan, is Sarah dangerous? Does she intend to harm Edmund?”

I already knew what the answer would be and was proved right when he said, “Child, I can tell you only your own story?”

My face fell and he said, “Tell me Peter, if any harm befalls your brother will you protect him, fight for him, do anything in your power to save him?”

I did not have to think twice to answer that. “Without a doubt.” I knew I told the truth when I said this because the truth of my sentence had been tested on numerous occasions.

“Then, my son, you have nothing to fear, for until you both are together nothing can befall you or your siblings that Narnia’s sword and shield cannot fight.”

I pulled back and gazed at the mighty lion silently for sometime before I closed my eyes and whispered, “Thank You”

When I opened my eyes, I knew where I would find myself and correctly, this time, I saw the living room of my house but the calmness I had felt in Aslan’s presence did not leave me and the headache and dizziness were gone.